What compression garment and lipo board combination do you recommend for post liposuction of abdomen, trunk and flanks? Thanks

What compression garment and lipo board combination do you recommend for post liposuction of abdomen, trunk and flanks?

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #Tummytuck

Hello christinakprice,  thank you for your excellent question! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. Each surgical procedure has it's own set of post operative instructions. Your surgeon's preference and your health history play a role in what goes into your post operative instructions.  Final results can take up to 12 months for all the swelling to subside. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Compression after liposuction

I do think there is any specific brand or combination that is better than another.  I believe that compression after liposuction helps with discomfort after surgery but doesn't really impact the final result.  I think the results are determined by what is done at surgery.  For liposuction of the circumferential trunk I usually just have patients use a compression binder for a few weeks and then just use Spanx, since many patients already have them and they are more comfortable than many post-surgical garments

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction compression garments guidelines

Each surgeon may have a slightly different opinion regarding the use of compression garments after liposuction.  However, there are generally accepted rules: 

*  The use of adits--the small liposuction incisions remain open after surgery--means the length of use of compression garments is shorter (several days, as opposed to weeks) because of quick drainage and less postop swelling.

*  The amount of compression matters.  Too much can lead to discomfort or even aggravate swelling and interfere with healing.  For this reason, many surgeons guide their patients in choosing the right compression garments, i.e., they take measurements and ask them if they are comfortable while wearing these.

I hope that helps and good luck.