My asymmetrical nostrils have always bothered me and I don't like pictures of myself. How can this be corrected? (photo)

I am 63 but still hoping to improve my appearance.

Nostril asymmetry

You have only mild asymmetry. A frontal view would help but it looks like correcting a deviated septum would help

Uneven nostrils

Thank you for the question and photos. The nostrils appear different because the columella (part between nostrils) and tip are leaning towards one side. A rhinoplasty can straighten the septum and cartilage can be added to strengthen it and keep it straight which will make your nostrils more even. An in person exam with a rhinoplasty surgeon will answer a lot of your questions. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils

In your situation, the nostrils are asymmetrically because of the tilted columella. This may be due to an underlying deviation of the nasal septum. A physical examination will be necessary in order to determine the best rhinoplasty approach for you.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinooplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from spreader grafts and an alar batten graft to help improve your nostril symmetry.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  There are many different ways to perform a rhinoplasty,  it is important to communicate with your surgeon prior to your procedure with your particular goals and expectations.  The procedure can then be customized to your needs.  Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon