After a Mommy Makeover procedure, should I stay close by for several days if I live several hours away?

Mommy Makeover

Hi & thank you for your question.

It would be best to stay close by for the first few days, at least until your first follow up visit. Check with your surgeon for his/her recommendations. Best of luck!

Yes, ideally you will  stay close to your plastic surgeon for at least a few days after extensive surgery. Best wishes.

Returning Home After a Mommy Makeover

Thank you very much for your question. Following a Mommy Makeover, you will need to stay close to the office of your operating surgeon for the first several days. The amount of time will depend on your medical history and your surgeon’s personal protocol. Once you have had the initial follow-up appointment, and you are healing well, your surgeon will give you the go-ahead to return to your home and finish recovering. I would suggest that you discuss the Mommy Makeover recovery period with your surgeon, and follow his/her advise on how long you should stay in the area after surgery. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Travel after procedure

I would not advise traveling several hours away from your surgeon only a few days after your procedure. I would plan to stick around for at least a week so you can go back in for a follow up appointment and make sure everything is healing as planned. 

Mommy make-over recovery after out of town surgery

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Your own surgeon should advise you but if you were my patient, the answer would be 'yes.'
  • I would want you to have little pain, to walk easily and have drains out before driving home 
  • Depending on the surgery and your recovery, this might be a few days or longer.
  • I might order an ultrasound duplex scan before you left to be certain no blood clots were forming in the legs.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Postoperative Care

The simple answer is yes. This is a moderately extensive procedure, and you should not travel too far for at least a few days, or until your doctor says it is ok. Regards, Dr Steve Merten

Traveling for a Mommy Makeover

Thanks for your question.  A Mommy Makeover can involve several different procedures.  I generally recommend my out of town patients spend the weekend in San Antonio after their MM.  This way, if there is a problem, I can check on them more easily.

Hope this helps!

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your very good question.  To me it seems very important to be in reasonable proximity to your plastic surgeon in the first 7 to 14 days after an extensive surgical procedure such as a mommy makeover.  Being several hours distant would be of concern to me during the initial healing period when questions may arise or bandages may need to be changed more frequently.  If all goes well you will look back and feel that it was unnecessary but if you are the rare case of having a complication will be glad to be close to your doctor in the first 7 to14 days.  My preference would be to lean toward safety over convenience during the initial healing period.

Good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Staying Close After Your Mommy Makeover

It may wise to do so. Your board-certified plastic surgeon and staff will brief you on their suggestions for your recovery. If you have questions or specific concerns, it best to contact them to better plan your recovery. Also, many plastic surgery practices have facilities for their traveling clients, and if not, they can provide you information as to where you where can heal comfortably. 

Additionally, staying nearby until after your follow-up appointment may be beneficial if you have any complications or specific concerns soon after surgery. 

Yes -- at least stay the first night

My general rule is if my patient is from over an hour away, they should stay the first evening in a hotel nearby. I then either have them come to the office to be checked before heading home or they just head out if everything is ok. But if something bad happens that first night, you're close by.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon