It's possible to stretch skin after tt with lipo? I thought I was gonna be flat. I'm 5'2. I have only lost 5 lbs. (photos)

I'm 39 y/o I have 3 kids all cs and it's been 4 months of full tummy tuck with lipo. Ever since my surgery I've been very swollen especially from lower ab. They said it's normal that I still need time but I can still see a bump on the lower ab I thought I was gonna be flat I wasn't big I was 135 now I'm 130 they removed two lbs of excess skin and 6 lbs of fat from lipo1/2 lb was transfer on my butt. But when I sit there's a fold on my tummy. Plus i can pull enough skin from the sides. Normal?

Tummy tuck results

A tummy tuck is not a weight loss technique so not unusual for a patient to not drop significant weight. It is a body contouring procedure. The skin on your sides wasn't addressed with a tummy tuck so that explains that issue. In terms of your "overhang" when you sit, everyone has this. Otherwise, you couldn't sit down. You could still have some swelling. It can take 6 months or more to fully resolve. Wait another couple of months and if you are still unhappy then schedule an appointment to see your surgeon. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Swelling Concerns

Thank you for your question and photos. The area you are pulling out at the sides is not where skin was excised so it is not expected to change. Abdominal swelling can last 4 months or more post Abdominoplasty so it is still possible that the front and areas over your incision could still flatten somewhat. It is very important to avoid increasing calorie intake in the months directly after surgery because you can tend to gain fat where you had liposuction.

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about your expectations as you continue to heal.

All the best

So you understand

This issue comes up a lot and unfortunately the truth is that the skin has elasticity that sometimes works against us. In the operating room we make people very tight but, unfortunately, skin stretches. So as you recover and start doing things, pulling on that weakened skin does result in a little skin redundancy in some patients. The more stretch marks, the worse it is. Its nothing to be overly concerned about, it is the reality of whats possible. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Results after tummy tuck with lipo

The swelling is typical post tummy tuck and liposuction. I usually tell my patients to give it a full 6 months before evaluating the overall outcome. From the pictures it looks like overall you have a nice result. The sides you are mentioning is very difficult to completely remove without changing your position on the operating table. The surgeon can only really go to the edges of the bed. But it doesn't appear to be noticeable when you aren't pinching. The fold when sitting or laying is normal for anyone. Even the most physically fit people usually have a skin crease when they sit. I would give yourself another couple of months to see if the skin will retract. And keep in mind significant weight loss will likely lead to further sagging of skin.

Hope this helps answer your questions,

Surjit S. Rai, MD (DrRai.net)  

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Tummy Tuck results

There is always a period of swelling after Tummy Tuck that can take months to resolve. The extra skin you are pinching is beyond the incision so this will not improve. I tell women that to get that out, the incision has to be extended farther around the waist. You may have had some fat in the upper abdomen prior to surgery and this has now been moved down to the lower abdomen. Every Plastic Surgeon does this procedure differently. It is important to see lots of pictures of their results and discuss your goals thoroughly before the surgery to be sure you are happy with the outcome.

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

Only so much skin and fat can be removed during an abdominoplasty.   If more is removed there can be stress and tension on the tissues and skin death is the result.   You appear to have a nice result.  Go and discuss this with your surgeon.   My  Best,  Dr Commons