Would my nose be considered a bulbous nose? Do you think I would look better getting a nose job? Advice? (photo)

I really wanted a nose job since I was little my nose has always been bulky and big, but I have a few concerns. I am afraid it would alter my appearance for the worst. Would be worthwhile getting?

Shuld I Get a Nose Job?

Your wide tip can be refined but other views are necessary for me to evaluate your nose. Only you can answer the question if you should have a rhinoplasty. I suggest you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist so you can make an educated decision.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Improving the bulbous tip

The bulbous tip corresponds to a lack of definition in the nasal tip. A bulbous tip could be due to large lower lateral cartilages, thick skin, and / or convexed nasal cartilages. Rhinoplasty can help address all of these problems. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would my nose be considered a bulbous nose? Do you think I would look better getting a nose job?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about refining and improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited 2 dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

A full set of photographs are required to make a determination about  what can be accomplished with a rhinoplasty procedure, since the nose is a 3-dimensional structure.  The bulbous tip can be reduced with suture techniques and conservative cartilage removal applied to the nasal tip cartilage.  Thick skin in the tip of the nose will be a significant impediment seeing refinement in that area.  The entire nose can be made more narrow with osteotomies  placed in the bridge line.  For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

Nosejob question

Thank you for your question; certainly this is where a discussion of procedures with a plastic surgeon would be best.  Your type of nose is one of the more common that we address for rhinoplasty.  Particularly patients that would like a smaller appearance, with a smaller and more refined tip.  If your skin is thicker this can make the procedure a bit more difficult but an in person exam would be needed to do an internal and external evaluation.  

The procedure will be worthwhile if done by a qualified surgeon and as long as you understand there will be recovery and swelling afterwards.  Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip.

The terms bulbous and boxy, etc, mean different things to different patients and/or surgeons.  Don't worry too much about the terminology.  If I understand you correctly what bothers you is the size/width of your nose.  Like the upper, and especially middle, and lower (tip) parts of your nose seen from the front.  Yes, those can be changed with rhinoplasty and yes I think it is likely you would be happy.  You are smiling in the photo - happy people are usually happy with results.  I see a lot of patients from the valley - come up and visit me in Austin. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Rhinoplasty Concerns

Thank you for your post and photo. The decision to consider cosmetic surgery is quite personal and you are the best judge to determine whether surgery is worthwhile. That said, if your nasal appearance bothers you, I congratulate you on reaching out for information and advise. Your nose appears somewhat to large overall, and refinement rhinoplasty to improve the appearance in a natural way could be done via rhinoplasty. Your tip is somewhat amorphous and slightly bulbous. Balancing your tip shape with other changes to the nose should result in an attractive result, provided it is not overdone. Visit with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon about your interest in nose enhancement. Choose someone with special interest in natural appearing noses with lots of experience. Overall, you seem to be an excellent patient for rhinoplasty. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon