When can I inspect my "new" vagina, just with one finger to get an idea of how my vaginoplasty went? 11days post op.

I scratched out a stitch last week, I immediately went to my doctor and she said i had an infection. I was prescribed antibiotics for a week. I was so worried and still am that I ruined my entire painful surgery. The stitch I ripped out was at the bottom of the vagina beginning of the perineum. I immediately asked the doctor to numb me up and resuture me, until I found out about the infection. My doctor claims it will heal together on its own. I just want it restitched when its safe to do so.

Vaginoplasty/Vaginal Rejuvenation

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Post-Op Healing for Vaginoplasty

Swelling after vaginal surgery is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.  Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful in reduction of swelling as well, but you will want to watch the areas where you have already lost stitches and faced infection. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. 

Keep your hands off new and healing incisions!!

Touching, tugging, pulling on and otherwise "inspecting" incision lines for either labiaplasty or perineoplasty/vaginoplasty in the first 3-4 weeks is asking for problems (infection; pulled-out sutures, etc.)  There is NO WAY you will know "...how your vaginoplasty went" by looking at it. And, if you don't also do the proper exercises afterwards, however it "went" won't be for long... You will not know until at least 2 months after surgery when you are able to "...use it..." Follow your doc's instructions, or pay the price (separation of incision, poor results>)  You'll need to WAIT a bit-- please don't rush things or be prepared to pay the price  :)
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Keep your fingers and everything else out of the vagina for six weeks minimum

The skin stitches at the center of the perineum are the least relevant stitches in a vaginoplasty and losing them will have no effect on the deep muscle sutures that create the tightening effect. Replacing these stitches is unnecessary and will have no effect on your results. Furthermore, healing skin will not hold sutures.

6 weeks of pelvic rest after Vaginoplasty

It's very important for you to follow your surgeon's instructions for pelvic rest. In my practice, I have my patients on pelvic rest for a full 6 weeks before anything can be placed inside the vagina, including a finger. Losing one superficial stitch on the perineum should not affect your final results. But please no more scratching.
Cheers!

Infection

After vaginal rejuvenation with postop infection, sutures will not hold. You're better off doing what your doctor says: let the area heal, treat the infection, take care of the wound with cleaning, and let it heal by itself (called secondary intention). Most likely you did no harm to yourself in the long run. Good luck

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that you have had recovery issues. Based on your narrative you seem to have had a perineoplasty and that one of your sutures from the back end came out.  In most instances repair of the region takes place in several layers of sutures to prevent separation in cases of a single stitch coming out.  Maintain close follow up with your surgeon and resist the urge to see or feel or manipulate the tissues around your vaginoplasty until fully healed.  Best wishes.

Vaginoplasty

Dear Untaken:
It is highly unlikely that scratching out one stitch ruined your whole operation.  IF the suture came out of the perineum this is the area of least concern and will usually heal in on its own.  If in 6 weeks you attempt intercourse and it is still too loose it is NOT because one suture came out.....but most likely that the surgery was not tight enough to begin with.  Listen to your surgeons instructions as I am sure he told you not to put anything inside of your vagina for 6 weeks.
John R Miklos MD
Urogyencologist  & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai