I Have a Brown Spot on my Cheek. What Are my Treatment Options?

I have a brown spot on my cheek that gets darker after sun exposure. What are my treatment options?

Doctor Answers 3

Brown spots

Browns spots if they are really benign, can be treated with lasers, or skin care lines to lighten them up. They can disappear like magic, but you have to remain out of the sun and wear sunblock or they will return.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Brown spot treatment with laser

I agree that this lesion should first be evaluated by a dermatologist (maybe even biopsied if there are any atypical features).  If it is a benign lesion, then I usually recommend a Q-switched alexandrite laser for best results.  This will typically remove the pigment in a few sessions (usually 1-3 in most cases).  For discreet brown spots the Q-switched laser seems to be superior to other peeling or lightening agents.  Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Dark spot on cheek

First and most importantly, see a dermatologist to make sure the dark spot is benign. There is a change obviously in this mark, so a thorough examination of the lesion is needed which may involve dermatoscopy (examining the lesion with a special light) and also possibly a  biopsy should be done to confirm its benign nature. After that is proven, then the doctor can determine if a chemical peel, cryotherapy (freezing with liquid nitrogen) Fraxel Restore, prescription lightening creams, a series of chemical peels along with the use of the lightening cream, Fraxel Dual, Fraxel Repair, and even Dermabrasion and carbon dioxide laser, can fade the brown spot. Remember, sunscreen filtering out both UV-A and UV-B is extremely important after treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.