If biofilm develops from Restylane Silk injection on tear troughs once, what are the chances it will happen again?

I developed a mild biofilm infection inside my left undereye area (the right one is fine, even though it was also injected with the same needle and product), NINE MONTHS after the injection took place. According to my doctor it is a biofilm infection and he appropriately put me on 14 days of antibiotics. Been 5 days and it's gone. My fear is, can I ever get the restylane filler under my eye again? Or is my chance of getting this type of infection now high because I already had it happen once?

Biofilm Infection.

Late filler infection occurs because bacteria get introduced at the time of injection or, more rare, due to infection elsewhere on the body that reaches the filler through the blood vessels. Sterile technique is essential and perhaps considering a dose on antibiotics before the procedure might be reasonable. 

Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Biofilm is related to injection technique

Biofilm, a latent infection, is introduced during the injection. Sterile technique is crucial. It is also possible to get an infection from bacteria spread there from the blood or from a nearby infection. Unless the filler was dissolved, there can still be bacteria in and around the filler. You didn't mention hyaluronidase. This needs to be done to be assure the "infected" filler is removed.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Biofilm Facts and Fillers

The chance of biofilm formation is rare and unrelated (in my opinion) to the number of times someone has or gets filler treatments.  If the physician does proper "clean" technique, with both alcohol and hibiclens (or another similar surgical skin cleanser), the chance for biofilms is much reduced.  This should be typical practice for anyone you are willing to get treated by.  Best, Dr. Emer.