Can I be a viable candidate for Tummy tuck and flank liposuction?

im 5 foot 7 inches tall. i dont have pics right now, but will take some and send soon. im apple shaped. 52 yr old female. 14 prior pregnancies. 5 live births. i exercise 3 times week for over 3 yrs now. Im now 294 lbs. i need to get rid of the 2 spare tires around my middle to be able to workout better, walk better and be more active. I'm healthy, no chronic illnesses but have mild anemia and I take 650 mg of iron daily.

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for the procedures you want at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Tummy tuck candidate

unfortunately, I would not consider you as an ideal candidate for a cosmetic abdominoplasty. Research has shown that complication rates increase dramatically with BMI above 30. If hygiene and mobility are your main concerns, you may be a candidate for a panniculectomy. This is removal of the excess hanging skin and fat below the belly button only. This has a shorter recovery and is an operation intended for hygiene purposes. You may also consider evaluation for weight loss surgery. Good luck! 

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.

Photos are not necessary at this time.  Your BMI is 46 which is higher than the maximaum amount of 40 which is allowed at my surgical center.  I would suggest continuing your diet and work out until you approach 255 pounds which would put you at a lower risk of complications with an elective procedure.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Candidate for tummy tuck or liposuction?

I would suggest you lose more weight prior to having a tummy tuck to get your best results. At a BMI of 47, there is an significant increased risk of complications. Bariatric surgery for weight loss may be an option for you, combined with nutritional counseling and your exercise routine. There is a procedure known as a panniculectomy, which removes the lower fold only. It is not a cosmetic procedure but mat help. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate

Unfortueately not, your bmi is 47. Diet and exercise is what you need. If that doesnt work you might be a candidate for a gastric bypass.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Candidacy for tummy tuck

Unfortunately, you have a BMI in the morbidly obese category which means a very high risk of surgical complications. Board certified plastic surgeons have been trained to put patient safety over patient desires. I know that is difficult to hear but, for your health's sake, you should investigate barbaric surgery or another weight loss regimen. Glad to hear that you exercise regularly.

Not an ideal candidate

I agree with all of my colleagues that you should lose weight.  I know how difficult it might be to lose weight and at 52 year of age i - its not easy!  Because of your BMI, you are considered morbidly obese.  Have you ever considered bariatric surgery to help you with your weight?  Additionally,  many people think that one loses weight following a tummy tuck and liposuction - however that is not the case.  Think  - when you make soup, the fat floats on top of the soup.  That is because fat is lighter than water.   You, unfortunately are trapped in that bad place - can't exercise because of the 2-spare tires around the middle.  I hope I gave you some direction.  I'd be delighted to see you after you lose the weight - either by exercise and diet, or after your bariatric surgery.  Good luck.

Abdominoplasty Candidate?

Based on your history alone, it appears you should lose additional weight before having an abdominoplasy with liposuction (body contouring, aesthetic surgery.) Your BMI is 46 which is in the morbidly obese category and associated with significantly higher post operative complications including but not limited to anesthesia complications, delayed wound healing, pulmonary complications, and deep venous thrombosis. At your current weight, you are also at high risk for hypertension, cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus. I would highly recommend that you consult with your primary doctor or internist and initiate a comprehensive weight loss program under the direction of that doctor. Patient safety and positive outcomes are my primary concerns.
Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

You may be a candidate for removal of the tummy areas and some liposuction. We medically clear all of our patients pre op and an exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to confirm if you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations. 

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to provide specific advice without photos or an in-person examination. However, I believe it is best to have a BMI under 30 prior to proceeding with surgery. This will improve your cosmetic outcome and decrease your risk of complications.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.