Can I still have a tummy tuck and lipo with a small fibroid

I just found out I have a small fibroid. Can I still have a tummy tuck and lipo. I asked my gyn doctor and she said its to small, so it won't be a problem. I just need a 2nd opinion. Thanks in advance

Yes but if you need fibroid removed you can have both done at same time .  Combination procedures are very common

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with uterine fibroid

I would not see a problem with undergoing a tummy tuck based on your gynecologist's assessment.  Of course, every patient having an abdominoplasty must undergo preop testing; if you menstruate profusely as a consequence of the fibroid, then your blood count could be affected.  This is less likely with a smaller mass.

Uterine fibroid

Uterine fibroids alone are not contraindications for tummy tuck surgery.  The only way to know if you are a candidate for surgery, however, is to see a board-certified plastic surgeon and have them do a history and physical exam.  Nothing beats an in-person consultation.

Elan B. Singer, MD

I see no issues

You should be able to have a tummy tuck with your small uterine fibroid.  All the work for a tummy tuck is performed outside of the abdominal cavity and if your fibroid does not cause significant bleeding during your menstrual cycle to produce anemia then you are fine.

Tummy tuck and liposuction.

thank you for your question. will be safe to do your TT and liposuction even when you have a fibroid. Fibroid is inside the peritoneal cavity where as TT and liposuciton is done on outside. Good Luck.

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Communicate with your doctors

You should be ok to have a tummy tuck and lipo if you have a small uterine fibroid. However, if your fibroid is causing you to having heavy bleedingor severe anemia, it is best to address that situation first. Most likely your blood count will be checked before surgery and your doctor will decide if it is safe for you to undergo elective surgery. Keep your doctors and surgeon informed of your medical issues and good luck!

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

A fibroid will not interfere with a tummy tuck, because a fibroid is on or in the uterus inside the abdominal cavity and a tummy tuck addresses the abdomen on the outside.  

The tummy tuck is all outside the abdominal cavity.  A small fibroid should be of no consequence to a proposed abdominoplasty. 

All the best.