Should I consider a Revision? (photos)

I got a septo/rhinoplasty in 2010. It's strange because I seem to notice a "dent" in my nose only under certain lights, especially in fluorescent lighting. Was my implant misplaced? Is it too big for my nose? Or is my skin really thin? I spoke with my surgeon and he said he doesn't see the "dent" I'm talking about and it's been really bothering me. I do want to get this fixed but am scared to. Is getting a revision surgery my only option? Thank you.

Custom Implant

Hi,

It looks like the implant was a standard silicone implant and it may have been placed in the wrong tissue plane thus starting to show through the skin creating contour abnormalities. The implant should be removed and replaced with a custom implant in a deeper subfascial pocket. See video.

Dr.S.

NASAL ASYMMETRY

There is a very small dent on the right side of the nasal dorsum and it can be corrected with a very small amount of filler. This is not a permanent solution, but it can last for about 9 to 12 months. As you have a nasal implant under that area, the procedure needs to be done very carefully, because the main risk is an infection, go with a Surgeon who has a lot of experience doing this.

Revision Rhinoplasty for Implant

Probably the skin is contracting around the implant because of scar tissue that normally builds up around the implant.  Removing the implant and reshaping it or removing it completely and using cartilage are both options.  Another option is a nonsurgical rhinoplasty where filler can be used to 'smooth' the irregularities in the nose caused by the implant.  Since we're dealing with an implant, make sure you go to someone who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform the nonsurgical rhinoplasty appropriately using the right filler. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I Consider a Revision?

If the appearance of your nose bothers you, you should consider a revision but first the surgeon should diagnose the cause of your problem. You did mention an implant which may have shifted causing the asymmetry. If your surgeon does not agree with you consult with a revision rhinoplasty specialist for a second opinion.

A small dent after rhinoplasty

Irregularity in the nasal dorsum can be due to previous resection of a dorsal hump. Although a small amount of filler can help, a revision rhinoplasty to smooth out the dorsum may also be of benefit. A consultation is necessary. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non surgical rhinoplasty

This small "dent" is a perfect thing that a nonsurgical rhinoplasty can address. Small imperfections like this can be made smooth and thus avoid surgery.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon