Should I remove my nose implant? (Photo)

I got a septo/rhinoplasty done in 2010. I am unhappy with the results because of the "dent" in my nose. My doctor told me that I should wait until my implant is more obvious and then he will do something about it, take my implant out or replace it with a L silicone. I am leaning towards taking my 4 MM goretex implant out but am worried my nose would look strange. Should I seek a second opinion?

Rhinoplasty with implant

Thank you for your question and photos. I see the outline of the implant which I agree with you that it does not look great. If you remove it and do nothing else, you may have this boggy skin on your nose. The skin may shrink down to its original shape but it may not. Often you need to replace it with another graft, ideally bone or cartilage from you. Get another opinion, Good luck

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Synthetic vs Autologous

Synthetic implants never become fully incorporated into your nose, and sometimes this can lead to issues with migration like you are describing.  The safest and most permanent results are possible using tissue from your own body, or autologous grafts.  The risk of infection, migration and extrusion is far greater with any type of synthetic graft than it is with your own tissue.  

There is certainly chance for improvement with a revision with a carefully selected surgeon with experience in revision rhinoplasty.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Nasal implant

It is reasonable to have the implant removed since it is becoming more noticeable.  Once it is removed, you will likely require additional structural changes to provide adequate support.  Commonly, cartilage from your own body can be used to provide this structure. I recommend you obtain a second opinion in order to understand your options.  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Nasal implants

This a difficult question  - I dislike silicone implants and really only use your own cartilage or bone. Get more than one opinion before doing anything. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Nasal implant

You can have it exchanged with something else.  It can be cartilage or silicone. If you do not want surgery, perhaps filler would be a good idea to camouflage it.

Should I remove my nose implant?

Since you are several years out from your surgery, the results are pretty much set at this point.  The silicone will never be incorporated.  In order to maintain volume to that area after removal of the implant I recommend cartilage, and possibly a fascia graft.  Wish you all the best.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

A third and fourth rhinoplasty option

Thank you for the question and photos.  You do have a third and fourth option.  The third option is to use filler to camouflage the current implant.  The fourth option is to remove the implant and use rib cartilage to shape the nose.  I would discuss all of these options with your plastic surgeon and decide on which one is the best for you.

Good luck with your decision process.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD