is this normal? My surgery was done in the dominican republic, so I have no doctor to ask, should i go to my regular doctor?

I just had lipo 8 weeks ago and am still in pain and swallen . I have lumps and hardness on the areas that were treated, ive been getting lymphatic massage is helping a lil but am worry that is taking too long for the soreness and the bumps to go away. Is this normal?

Liposuction 8 weeks ago - still swollen, doctor in DR

Thank you for asking about your DR liposuction.

• Please contact your DR plastic surgeon by email, explaining your issues and enclosing a photograph that shows the lumps, if possible.
  • It can take a long time for swelling to subside and for the lumps to subside.
  • Pain however is not common this long after liposuction.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Liposuction, fat over stomach area or tummy, swelling, lumps and bumps

Thanks for the query. Some swelling is expected post operatively as a lot of internal activity goes on that is not seen on the skin surface during liposuction which is done through a keyhole incision. Usually 3 months should be a good time to evaluate though some even take up to 6 months to settle down, Do have reviews with your surgeon or else  you could see a local doc for a consultation and explain to him your concerns.

Best wishes+

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after your liposuction

You clearly have concerns about the healing process after your liposuction. You said that you "have no doctor to ask", but this is not true. You can ask your surgeon. Even though your surgery was done in another country, you can always call your surgeon or return for a followup appointment. Just because your surgeon is not close to you does not mean that he/she should not be involved in your after care. Yes, it may be inconvenient to return to your surgeon, but these are things that need to be considered when choosing to have surgery in another country. Unfortunately, you will probably not get a great answer on this forum since no surgeon can offer any advice without examining you, and guessing at what may be going on is not appropriate.

8 months post op

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Is a little bit hard to give you some recommendations without pictures, but is always good to send pictures to your doctor if any concerns. But in my opinion I can say that you need to be patient after a plastic surgery, I know that all the patients want to see quick results, but is not like that, swollen can take until 6 months after a liposuction to see final results. Ggood luck and remember to talk with your PS and send pictures. :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

This is the issue when you go out of the country or far from home for surgery.  You are best to seek someone local for assistance. Good luck.

Liposuction in DR

Without a consultation or pictures, it is difficult to give you sound medical advice. However, your signs and symptoms may be consistent with your recent liposuction surgery. It may take 3-6mths for most of the swelling and soreness to resolve as well as the firm bumps. Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon