Is there a nonsurgical way to fix my bug eyes? Would Sculptra be an acceptable candidate for this?

I have very shallow-set eyes and have been told that I sometimes look a bit "bug-eyed"–think Steve Buscemi–is there a nonsurgical way to make them look deeper, perhaps using filler? Would Sculptra be an acceptable candidate for this?

Doctor Answers 5

Improving the eye area nonsurgically

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This area can be improved with fillers, mainly HA fillers. Sculptra is a great volumizer, but fine tuning around the eyes is difficult with it. I like to use Restylane for this with blunt cannulas. I think that fillers would be your solution and maybe adding a neuromodulator. See link please.

Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Under Eye Hollow Improvement

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Loss of bone under the eyelids (infra-orbital rim) and bulging of the lower eyelid fat contribute to formation of the hollows under the eyelids. Correction with fillers (Restylane, Radiesse, Juvederm) can last for many months. Longer improvement may be obtained with Sculptra or fat injections. Micro-needling, laser and RF treatments can improve the fine lines and skin texture. 

Risks including visible and palpable lumps as well as loss of vision should be discussed with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatemnt decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon

"Bug-eyed" and other orbital and facial appearance options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear melaniene:This is a very complex problem and not one easily "fixed". Start with your Primary Care Provider to rule out hyperthyroidism and other “bug-eye” conditions.  Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial ENT Surgeon or Ophthalmologist with the talent and skills to diagnose and treat the problem you describe. Below are 2 to consider. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 103 reviews

You might also like...

Eyes and non surgical options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A combination of Thermage and fillers into the tear troughs usually helps correct this area. Be careful to consult an expert do that the area is not over corrected. Best, Dr. Green

Sculptra for lids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While you may be a candidate for periorbital fillers to improve hollows around the lower lids, most practitioners do not use Sculptra around the eyes or mouth, given the concern of developing nodules.  Hyaluronic acid fillers however are commonly used to address "tear troughs," hollow brows, and other areas that may contribute to an aged appearance around the eyes.  Consider a formal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine the best treatment for your concerns. 

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.