I have had ovarian embolism. Can I still have my tummy tuck, breast lift and lipo?

Hello I have been wanting a mommy makeover for sometime now. But I have had ovarian embolism and I was wondering can I still have my tummy tuck, breast lift and lipo?

Important Medical Recommendations

Hello and thank you for your question. I have to say that I agree with the others, and that it would be best to confirm with your doctor or specialist before scheduling a mommy makeover procedure, to help ensure your body will be able to handle it safely. 

Combined operations are often performed with  Gynecology . Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries noted above. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. With all of these things to consider about the combined procedures of the mommy makeover it would be good to find out from your doctor if your ovaries will handle it well.

Medical history

You would need to see a specialist, such as a hematologist to get clearance before proceeding with surgery.  You can anticipate that some extra precautions would be taken to minimize risk of reoccurrence.  Be sure to discuss this situation with your plastic surgeon as well.

Camille Cash, MD

Need clearance

Thank you for your question.  If you have a history of an embolism, you would require a medical clearance prior to your mommy makeover.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Mommy make over

Thanks for your question.  you would need clearance for surgery before attempting any procedure.  A hematologist would determine what the cause of your original clot was and make suggestions for your anticipated mommy make over procedure.  You might require anticoagulation or a two part procedure (to shorten the operatory time).  These can all be answered preoperatively.
Best of luck.
Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Hello and thank you for your question. If you are able to obtain clearance from your medical doctor that you are safe for surgery, then you may proceed.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Mommy make-over after ovarian embolus (embolization?)

Thank you for asking about your Mommy make-over.
  • Is it possible you have had ovarian embolization for congested pelvic veins?
  • If so, the you can have your mommy make-over if -
  • The doctor treating your pelvic conditions clears you for surgery 
  • You may be at higher risk for pelvic blood clots and may need anticoagulation for your surgery or you may need to have the surgery done in two sessions to reduce your risk.
  •  This is all part of your surgeon's advance planning - so find an experienced plastic surgeon who just does cosmetic surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Stratify your risk for surgery

You need to see a hematologist so they can properly evaluate you for reasons for the embolic event and stratify your risk for surgery.

I have had an ovarian embolism. Can I still have my mommy makeover?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your ovarian issues.  If you have fully healed from that episode you are safe to still undergo a tummy tuck, breast lift and liposuction procedure as part of your mommy makeover.  Hope this helps.