Can liposuction reverse medication-induced regrowth of fat tissue after male gynecomastia surgery?

The first surgery combining liposuction and partial gland removal only worsened my bilateral gynecomastia. The second, combining liposuction with areolar removal of the entire gland, susseded despite remaining on the SNRI antidepressant Effexor during and after. However, this year the dosage was raised from 75 to 150 mg and within a week breast tissue reappeared. Assuming it is just fat this time, can another liposuction correct it, or might it make matters worse yet again (I am back on 75 mg of Effexor)?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

You may need a more aggressive approach.  Please see an expert and post photos from beginning, and post each treatment to help guide our recommendations.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction for Effexor-related gynecomastia

Thank you for asking about your gynecomastia.
  • I am so sorry you are going through all this from an SSRI reaction.
  • I suggest you see your plastic surgeon for an exam -
  • But give yourself at least 6 months to stabilize on the current does of Effexor before having more liposuction.
  • And ask the doctor prescribing the Effexor, if there is an SSRI that will not lead to the fat accumuation.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Gynaecomastia recurrence liposuction

Hi there,
If the gland has been removed, or mostly removed, then further increase in bulk should be able to be removed by liposuction.
A question is:  are you gaining weight in general?  If you are, and these drugs seem to me more associated with general weight gain than recurrent gynecomastia specifically, then weight loss would be a better method of managing the problem than further surgery.  If this is what is happening, please talk to your doctors about your weight.
All the bestHoward WebsterPlastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia recurrence

Some prescription medications can cause gynecomastia.    Yes, I think that further resection of the breast tissue, via liposuction and/or direct excision, should be able treat your problem.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Hello and thank you for your question. If all of your breast parenchymal tissue is removed, along woth fat, then this should not recur again. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD