My daughter has keloids on her chest. What's the best treatment? Cryotherapy didn't help.

December 10, 2015 Dear Gentlemen, hello. My daughter, who is 15 years old, has developed KELOIDS on her chest and specifically on her stern and shoulders. We have used a CRYOTHERAPY without results. Please tell me if there is another kind of therapy. Thank you.

How to treat Keloids!

Please please stay far away from any treatment that involves cutting.  If you read about keloids you will learn that they are turned on by injury to the skin in a person who has the gene for keloids. Your daughter has it. You can make it worse by cutting, so I would stick with the treatments that are safer. Injections of medicines (kenalog, a steroid solution) MAY help. Its not perfect but is not going to make it worse. Be patient. The cryotherapy may cause pigment loss if her skin is brown. Hope this information is useful to you

Dr Beverly Johnson

Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Keloid scars are characterized by a thick cluster of scar tissue that will grow beyond the edges of a wound or incision. These types of scars usually occur when the body is constantly producing collagen, even after a wound has healed.

Cortisone injections are the best method to improve your daughter’s keloid scars. Cortisone injections will dissolve the amount of scar tissue present in the keloid scar, and will also reduce redness, pain, itching and burning. Unfortunately, keloid scars can be difficult to deal with and have a tendency to recur. Your daughter should have good results from the cortisone injections, but will need to have a series of treatments for the best aesthetic outcome.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Keloid Treatment

Hello, keloids tend to grow progressively and, unlike other scars, do not subside over time. Scar excision is the best option to remove the keloids but it does not guarantee that the keloids won't grow back. Some doctors, including myself, also use a secondary treatment, such as superficial radiation therapy (SRT-100), post-surgery to greatly reduce the chance for re-growth. A vast majority of my patients have had no re-growth using this treatment combination. Other treatments such as cortisone injections really do not yield permanent results. Best of luck.

Michael E. Jones, MD

Keloids and best treatment

Keloids do not respond to cryotherapy.  A combination of intralesional cortisone injections, and V-Beam for redness are the best series of treatments.  It can take several treatments to improve this condition.  Best, Dr. Green

Keloids

There are many approaches to treating keloids, but unfortunately they're very difficult to treat.  One of the best strategies is surgical excision followed by radiation.  Even with this method however, there's a significant chance of the keloid coming back.
Keith Blechman, MD
New York, NY