Juvederm Ultra Plus XC?

Getting lip fillers soon.. The doctor I have chosen uses juvederm ultra plus xc. Im reading a lot of comments stating that it is quite suitable for your lips, and alot saying that its too thick and had a higher risk of developing lumps. This is my first time getting lip fillers. Any thoughts/ comments?

Juviderm Ultra Plus XC

Thank you for posting your interesting lip injection question. The hyaluronic acid (HA) filler material injected and the experience of the injector will ultimately give you the best and the most naturally fuller lips. Juviderrm Ultra Plus is thicker than the Juviiderm Ultra and will give much fuller lips. However, since this is the first time that you are having your lips injected, I would recommend starting with Juviderm Ultra. At the time of your consultation, you can also bring some photographic examples, on your phone, of augmented lips that you like, to show your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Juvederm Ultra Plus XC?

Thank you for your question.  In my practice Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is my preferred hyaluronic acid dermal filler used to create a volume enhancement to the lips as it leads to safe, predictable, and long-lasting results.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your results. Hope this helps.

Juvederm Ultra Plus for Lips?

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler. HA fillers come in many brands and thicknesses. The thicker the formulation, the more durable/lasting. This is especially important with the lips, as we are always using them – to eat, drink, speak, breathe.  Our lips are basically always getting a workout and something thicker may suit you better. The most important thing when getting fillers is the DOCTOR'S TECHNIQUE. I've used both Juvederm ultra and Juvederm ultra plus in the lips without any problems. The key is to have a very patient and thorough doctor who is willing to take the time to do small deposits of Juvederm from different angles and then massage the lips as necessary for a smooth result. 
As a first timer, I know you're also concerned about looking "natural." Believe it or not, the "ducky" look is more a product of the patient, not the doctor. Most doctors like myself will fill lips on the more conservative or natural side, keeping lips proportionate with the patient's face. There are some patients who get used to having inflated lips, forget how they looked before filler, and end up thinking a little bit more each time will be better until it looks ridiculous - to everyone but her. Get your baseline look down -  it may take more than once as a little touch up 3 to 4 weeks later may be necessary to get the final result you're happy with. Once you're satisfied, note the number of syringes it took to get that look and stick with that. It will help you avoid "filler amnesia." Best of luck!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

I recommend a softer filler for the lips, especially for first-time users, but a thicker filler may last longer

Thank you for your question. You are getting a lip filler for the first time, and the doctor you chose recommended Juvederm Ultra Plus XC. You are getting some conflicting comments as to whether or not it is right, as you found out it may be too thick, so there is a risk of creating lumps.

It is understandable to be a little confused about the best options of fillers that would be right for you, especially since this is the first time you are having lip filler. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I’ve been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years, and injectable fillers are a very big part of what we do in our practice. Lip enhancement is a very popular treatment in our practice, particularly for people who notice volume loss due to facial aging.

When you think about your own lips, and since you did not submit a photo, may I ask you to just look at your lips in the mirror, or take a photo and look at the different elements. When we look at a lip for enhancement, I look at: whether or not there are some lines around the lips, the lip border, the area called cupid’s bow. I look at the pillars. I look at the volume of the pink part of the lip. I look at the proportionality between the upper and lower of the lip. I look at the lines around the corner of the mouth.

Essentially, there is both a gestalt and from a doctor’s point of view, you’re looking at different elements of the lip, and customization of fillers is important. Generally, in my practice and experience, I use softer filler like Restylane for people getting their lips done for the first time. What I am able to do with Restylane is not only add volume to the body of the lip, but also place it at the superficial lines, along the vermilion border, and really sculpt the lips, while being conservative and minimally traumatic. The goal is, especially when you are trying this for the first time, is to really make this a positive experience.

It is also important that your lips feel and look natural. It is also important you feel comfortable with the doctor. Different doctors all have their go-to materials they like using based on experience. It might be your doctor’s experience that Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is a material they like to place, maybe at the deeper level of the lips so the volume is more robust, or maybe because the material lasts. There is a spectrum of filler, whether it is from the Restylane or the Juvederm family, where they all have different viscosities and different lengths of effectiveness from the FDA trials the companies went through to get their material approved. However, there is a wide spectrum of the longevity of these fillers in the real world.

That said, I feel like because the lips are sensitive and tend to swell, there is a tendency to be very aware if there is a lump, so I tend to go towards the more conservative and use a softer filler. This is in no way to disparage your doctor and the decision your doctor is making, but I think since you’ve done this type of research, you should ask your doctor about this option, and really understand what you want to see improve after you are done with this first-time procedure. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with Juvederm

Juvederm to the lips is an excellent & most practiced way of delivering volume exactly where you want it, while providing the most natural looking results.  However, it’s hard to tell which Juvederm Ultra or Ultra Plus is better for your lips without seeing them.  You can’t plump up everyone’s lips to a certain standard because it depends on the shape of your individual lips as far as which hyaluronic acid filler would be best to use. Juvederm is a safe filler to use in this area as long as it’s injected correctly.  If there's a bump following the treatment, it could be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra Plus XC?

Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is one of my two preferred hyaluronic acid dermal fillers that I use for lips.  It is consistent.  There are not a lot of lumps at all and I think as long as you go to the correct person, you will be delighted.  Remember less is more with filler in the lips.  Good luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra Plus/Lip Filler

Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is an acceptable filler for lips and so is Juvederm Ultra.  The product is usually chosen based upon the desires and aesthetic goals of the client. Juvederm Ultra Plux XC used in the lips can create more drastic, very full lips while Juvederm Ultra may be more subtle.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Juvederm Ultra Plus

It's important you visit a board certified plastic surgeon/dermatologist and discuss your expectations and goals.  The right product in the right hands will ultimately give you the best results.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

#Juvederm #Filler #LipInjection #Injectables

Hello VelvetRose512, Thank You for your excellent question!  Consider speaking directly with your plastic surgeon.  Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is a great filler for lips. If your surgeon is experienced with injectables there should be no problem achieving great results.
Should you decide to seek a second opinion think about setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle My best to you,  Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for lips

I have used alot of different HA's including Juvederm Ultra Plus on the lips as a filler.  Most of the HA's are used off-label for these different areas. Good technique is essential.