Will the indentation in my gynecomastia scar line come out on its own? Does the nipple have a chance to heal completely? (photo)

2 weeks ago i had gynecomastia surgery w/free nipple grafts and excess skin removed from my sides so scars go up to the armpit. 25% os side A has not developed color. does it still have a chance to heal and develop color? I also have an indentation on the scar line (see arrow). at 10 day post op doc released some inside stitches where the indentation was and it improved. he said to give it time to see if it will completely come out. do you think this indentation will come out on its own?

What to Expect While Healing From Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Indentation and color changes after gynecomastia surgery.

Hello and thank you for your question and pictures regarding gynecomastia surgery. Since you just had surgery two weeks ago, it is too early to tell what will happen to the indentation and the color changes you describe on site A.

From your preoperative pictures, you had extensive excess skin and fat of the male breast. This required resection of male breast skin and fat from an inframammary incision and a free nipple graft. After this type of surgery, it takes 6 to 8 weeks, at minimum, to see the final results. Two to three months after your surgery, if the indentation does not significantly improve, I would suggest fat grafting. Fat can be collected from one area of your body (often the abdomen) and transferred to the chest. This fat transfer can help minimize or ideally, resolve the indentation.

Good luck. Thank you for your questions regarding gynecomastia surgery. If you have any questions regarding gynecomastia, gynecomastia surgery, or revision of gynecomastia surgery, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

Gynecomastia

It is very early in the post-op period and often a lot of this is due to swelling. At this point, it is a wait and see thing. Good luck.