I have severe indented scars on my legs. Is there any way to make them look even slightly better? (photos)

I had an accident in which the skin was scraped from my legs. I went to the hospital where I was for a week on antibiotics. They let me out and said it would heal on its own. A year later it was still 'healing' and worse. The infection was severe and after debriding, skin grafts and serious antibiotics I am ok. I am embarrassed to wear skirts or shorts and I never go to the beach in public. I am severely depressed and want to know if there is ANY way to make the scars less gruesome.

Doctor Answers 1

Fat grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may be a candidate for fat grafting.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.