I had a nasal turbulent surgery in both nose on the 10/15/14. I am having crusty and extremely dryness in my nose. Is it normal?

Do I pull out the big crusty stuff out? It blocks my airway.

Crusty Nose

Crusting is very common after turbinate surgery. It is extremely common to experience dryness.  Follow up with your surgeon regarding rinsing your nasal passage with salt water (something that can be purchased at the pharmacy) in order to clear your airway.  This should help!  

Crusting are nasal turbinate reduction

Crusting after nasal turbinate reduction surgery is very common. I have my patients starts nasal saline spray immediately after surgery to try to minimize this. Speak with your surgeon and see if he/she would like you to start this. I would not recommend you trying to remove the crusting yourself as that might cause you to bleed. Speedy recovery!

Crusty nose

Hello. Yes it is normal in the first weeks after surgery. Make sure you keep moisturizing your nose, it'll help with dryness and crusting. Follow up with your rhinoplasty surgeon if the problem persists.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

Nose Crusting and Dryness

What you are currently experiencing with the crusting and dryness is often normal this early in the recovery process. Don't be too alarmed but also try not to take action on your own. Speak with your doctor to determine the best plan of action. If he allows it, rinse your nasal passage with salt water (something that can be purchased at the pharmacy) in order to clear your airway. 
Dr. Ali Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Crusting after turbinate surgery

Crusting is very common after turbinate surgery. It is extremely common to have dryness accompany this. Your surgeon can remove these crusts in the office, although not every surgeon does this as it can increase bleeding. I often recommend for my patients to start a salt water nasal rinse after this type of surgery to cut down on the crusting and dryness. 

Daniel A. Barker, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative crusting

Post-operative dryness and crusting are common after nasal surgery, and typically resolve in a few days-weeks.  I generally advise against the patient's instrumenting of the nose, as poor visualization can lead to nosebleeds, infection, and other problems.  Forceful nose-blowing to get rid of crusts is also not advisable at your early stage of healing, as it can also result in nosebleeds.  A good moisturizing regimen helps keep crusting at bay; a nasal saline (saltwater) spray may be used liberally throughout the day, and a lubricating ointment (Saline gel, Aquaphor, Vaseline, or an antibiotic ointment) may be used in a small amount just inside the nostrils overnight.  Please follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions and keep a close follow-up, as he/ she is well-equipped to clean your nose post-operatively.  Good luck in your recovery!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crusts blocking the nose after turbinate surgery

Please contact your surgeon for advice on how to manage these crusts.
Nasal saline spray is available without a prescription and keeps the nose moistened.
However Aquaphor or Vaseline gently applied to crusts often softens them dramatically and they
come out easily on their own.
Ask your surgeon if these are ok for you to use.
You might also arrange to be checked to be sure you are healing well. Best wishes

Turbinate surgery

Crusting and debris in the nose following turbinate surgery is normal.  Usually nasal rinses will improve the airway.  Talk to your surgeon about your particular case and what to expect.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon