I am looking for a doctor who is experienced in one step Aloderm reconstruction. Any suggestions?

I have Fidelis platinum plan which I am paying out of pocket. I am considering a double mastectomy and hoping to get a one step reconstruction. 55 years old Small D cup. Can you please recommend a specialist hopefully in Brooklyn NYC

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Single stage breast reconstruction with Alloderm

Dear Angela, 

Thank you for the question. Ideally you should be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reconstruction so you can have a detailed specific discussion and then develop a plan for your mastectomy and reconstruction. 

I wish you the best of luck and good health!

Dr. Khuthaila 

Single Stage Reconstruction

It's important to understand that breast reconstruction differs greatly from cosmetic breast surgery. Single stage reconstruction can be done in some situations but it certainly depends on a number of factors. One of the most challenging is the size of the breasts prior to surgery. During a mastectomy, all of the breast tissue is removed and the remaining skin has a diminished circulation as a result. In larger breasted women, this can result in a lot of excess skin that needs to be addressed during he reconstruction process. Some women can be candidates for a single stage direct to implant reconstruction. These patients typically have good quality skin and skin elasticity without a lot of ptosis(medical term for sagging of the breasts). It's important to have an experienced plastic surgeon and breast surgical oncologist as the quality of the mastectomy greatly influenced the final cosmetic result. Some patients are best reconstructed in staged fashion. This is a discussion you should have with an experienced and board certified plastic surgeon

Jeffrey Michael Feiner, MD