I will like to get Breast augmentation and I was told that a doctor may not want to work on me. Need a surgeon opinion. (photo)

When I was about 16 yrs old I started developing a dark Mark on my right breast. "I thought that the areola was just spreading more, But as I got older I notice that the dark Mark was spreading and feeling hard in some spots .I went to two different dermatologist because that's what the doctors suggested and both came back as nothing one dermatologist said that it can be keloid skin (not sure)," I have so many tattoos I would think that would develop keloid as well but not one" .please help

Doctor Answers 7

Keloids and cosmetic surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are correct that keloids can be a contraindication to cosmetic surgery. However, without an in person evaluation, I am not certain that the pigment changes experienced represent keloiding as opposed to another process altogether.  First, see a board certified dermatologist for an evaluation before proceeding with consideration of the breast augmentation.

Dark marks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is very hard to say without an examination, but there are risks in your case that both you and your surgeon will need to accept. Keloids are surely possible, given your type of skin. Changes in skin color can also happen, and it is surely worth getting a written report from your dermatologists if you want to increase your chances of being accepted as a candidate for breast enlargement.
Finally, your pictures do not allow to be sure, but it does look like you may need an uplift, more than a simple breast enlargement.

I will like to get Breast augmentation and I was told that a doctor may not want to work on me. Need a surgeon opinion.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your photos you will need a breast lift with or without an implant dependant on your goals. Please seek an experienced board ceritfied plastic surgeon.


Breast Lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photos. It appears that you require a breast lift and this would involve far more extensive scarring than a breast augment alone. This could be why the Plastic Surgeon you spoke with was hesitant to plan surgery with you. If you tend to Keloid, you will need to be fully aware of the possible drawbacks and reality of scarring before proceeding. Realistic expectations are important but I'm sure you will be able to find a board certified Plastic Surgeon to walk you through those considerations.

All the best

Dark breast marks prevent surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Touches,
Maybe whoever told you that was referring to the fact that you need a breast lift and that no surgeon would just do a breast augmentation alone on you.  Seek consultation with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon for a discussion of your needs and options.  Good luck!

Breast surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question. It is slightly difficult to fully evaluate your breasts based on these pictures.  However, I have performed many breast augmentations in patients with your exact story.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

You need to be seen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You need to be seen and evaluated in person to know what is the correct procedure for you and if you are a candidate. Not everyone is a candidate for cosmetic surgery, and an in person consultation is appropriate.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.