Should a hypertrophic scar be treated using pulse dye laser, cryotherapy and 5fu in one session? (Photo)

I went to a dermatologist for a consult for a scar on my shoulder. He would treat it by using a pulse dyed laser coupled with cryotherapy and 5fu injection ? My concern is should all of these treatments be done in one session ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hidef Scar Protocol in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in hypertrophic and keloid scars. I would suggest using a combination approach over a period of months to improve the scarring on your shoulder; including lasers, injections, and topical therapy. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Scar revision

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may be a good candidate for a scar revision surgery.  This can be much more effective than those procedures in the right setting. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Hypertrophic Scars

I find the best combination is V-Beam and intralesional cortisone.  I would be concerned about cryotherapy which is a method of destruction on top of those treatments.  Please consult an expert for scar removal. Best, Dr. Green