Is there any hope for me? How much weight should I lose in order to schedule my surgery? (Photo)

Can my body ever look sexy again??

No magic number

Now that most surgeons are doing "suction abdominoplasty" the requirements of weight loss for abdominoplasty are a lot more flexible. The more weight you could loose the easier the procedure but I would consider doing your surgery at your current weight. The difference is a shift toward aggressive liposuction which spares nerves and blood vessels and has a safer outcome.

Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Weight loss not absolutely necessary in anticipation of body contouring surgery.

Whereas it would be nice for all patients to be at ideal body weight when anticipating elective surgery this is often not the case. From the photographs it looks as though you'd benefit more from and abdominoplasty liposuction. Liposuction of the back appears to be part of the formula for success.

I think we need more details about you including your height and weight.  If your BMI is very high, it might be a good idea to lose some weight first. Best of luck.

Weight loss before tummy tuck

Ideally, you should lose as much weight as possible.  You are not a candidate for liposuction in lieu of abdominoplasty.  Most of the issues which cause you to feel less sexy are in your abdomen and, once they are corrected, I think you could have an excellent result.

Sexy again? Certainly!

Hello and thanks for the question. Depending upon your expectations you can have a nice outcome from a body contouring procedure. A full TT and liposuction of the back and flanks would be appropriate after weight loss to a BMI of about 30 to minimize your risks. Unfortunately you have not provided your height and weight so we are unable to tell you exactly how much weight that is but it is easy for you to figure out using those two dimensions. Contact a BCPS for a consultation to get more details. 

Good of luck to you!

Dr. B

Regaining a sexy figure

Thank you for asking about your abdominoplasty.

• It is hard to tell - photos can be distorting and make a person appear much heavier than they really area.
  • But from the photo, if you are more than 100 pounds over your normal weight, weight loss surgery is necessary.
  • Liposuction can remove the excess fat but without weight loss it will return to new areas.
  • Weight loss will also reduce the internal fat around your liver and other organs that is making your stomach protrude.
  • I suggest you talk to a plastic surgeon and your regular doctor to learn what is the best approach to get the shape you'd like to have.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Weight loss before Tummytuck

Ideally, you should try to lose as much weight as possible before Tummytuck to get the best possible results. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about how ro lose weight before plastic surgery, as it may be helpful. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Body contouring

First of all, keep in mind that "sexy" is a state of mind. There are plenty of full figured women out there who can attest that being sexy is a matter of confidence, of attitude, of being comfortable in your own skin. So, don't let anything hold you back in that regard, starting today!
In regards to your question, everything depends upon your goals.  You need to meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon, for an in person exam to go over your goals. Of course, the more weight you are able to lose, the better cosmetic outcome it will be. Sometimes if the patient is really looking to lose a significant amount of weight, I will refer them to a general surgeon to consider an insurance-covered gastric banding procedure. This has the potential to allow patient to lose far more weight than they ever could have on their own. They could then return and follow up with some form of Tummytuck procedure and then get the best result possible. 

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon