How does the healing of my gynecomastia with free nipple grafts look, and will the indentation I have get any better? (Photo)

these pics are my before pics and my 4 weeks postop pics. what do you think of my healing from the gynecomastia surgery and im wondering if it looks like the free nipple graphs are taking well? also, I have an indentation (where I drew the circles and arrow) and im wondering if it will come out with time or if I will need a fat transfer to fill it out? the scars go up my sides almost to my armpits as a lot of extra skin was taken off the sides and those scars are healing well. thank you.

Healing Concerns & Indentations Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Your #incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

You are doing fine

you need to think in terms of 6-12 months before you judge the scarring. Your nipples have clearly taken well. I rarely do free nipple grafting but you must have had a lot of lose skin to your breast area. You need to be very patient and you will be pleasantly surprised how some areas that look uneven and irregular, with time, heal perfectly well. 

good luck
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Early healing

So far so good. It looks like you had lost a lot of weight. Congratulations. It will take about three months before you see the final results. Hang in there. Check with your surgeon about masage and scar treatment.

Gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question and photos.  You are still in the very early stages of healing.  The grafts do appear to be healing well.  As far as the indentation is concerned you're going have to wait for everything to settle and the final contour of your chest to be determined.  This takes at least 6 months, if not a year.  Overall it appears as if you're doing very well. 

Gynecomastia and healing

You are still in the early stages of healing. Give it 6 months to a year for things to settle. If there is still a divot, then a small revision may improve this.