Fluid trapped under skin. Do I need to go and see a doctor and get the stuck fluid sucked out manually? (Photo)

i am starting to worry, the tunnels where my drain was passing under my skin is not getting flat and is instead filled with what i believe is fluid. when i press on it the skin snaps back up and jiggles as if water was underneath (the area under my belly button). I am 1 week 1/2 post bbl in DR and my drain incidion is now closed inside and slowly healing outside. My tronc is deformed as i have these pockets on front and sides thats not getting flatter despite compress garment and massages!

Doctor Answers 4

Fluid trapped under skin. Do I need to go and see a doctor and get the stuck fluid sucked out manually?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have a fluid collection, this fluid collection should be drained.  I would try to email or call the surgeon.  Surgeons want to know about potential problems.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Seroma post BBL

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Sorry you are experiencing an issue after your BBL.  This is the biggest concern with having surgery outside your home area (this being oustside the country).  

It sounds like you a seroma (fluid collection) which needs to be drained.  You need to find a surgeon willing to take you on as a patient; otherwise go to the emergency room.  It usually takes several drainages until the fluid stops accumulating

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Retained Fluid after your BBL procedure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds as if you are having an issue with retained fluid, or a seroma, after your BBL. You should be in close contact with your surgeon since they are the best to handle your post-operative issue. Part of what you pay for when you pay for cosmetic surgery is the aftercare as well.  You should call your surgeon and make an appointment so that you can be taken care of before it becomes a bigger issue. If you had your surgery in another country, this can be inconvenient and expensive, however, these are some of the risks when you have surgery out of the country. Perhaps your surgeon can recommend a local plastic surgeon to take care of your complication since it may be very difficult to find someone willing to take over your care. 

BBL out of the country

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. Unfortunately because you had your surgery out of the country, you can not follow-up with your doctor. Now you have to find a doctor willing to see you locally, because it sounds like you may have a problem. Best of luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.