Estrogin Dominance? (photo)

Hello Everyone,I have a question..Is it wise to have male breast reduction surgery while having estrogen dominance..meaning my testosterone converts to estrogen..will it regrow back once i have my reduction surgery

Doctor Answers 5

Endocrine Abnormality and Male Breast Reduction

   You should optimize your endocrine status prior to surgery, and the estrogen dominance problem should be solved.  The estrogen must have a source and it must be elucidated.  After that time, seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs these procedures all of the time.  Kenneth Hughes, MD male breast reduction Los Angeles, CA

Estrogen dominance and severe gynecomastia

I am sorry you have gynecomastia .

  • Once removed, breast tissue cannot return. You need a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who will probably combine laser liposuction and direct excision (subcutaneous mastectomy) of the breast tissue.
  • Remaining breast tissue may be controlled with testosterone.Your surgeon must talk with your Board Certified Endocrinologist before surgery.
  • Testicular and other tumors can cause severe gynecomastia. These must be detected and treated before surgery. Best wishes.

Endocrinology evaluation and treatment prior to gynecomastia surgery

From your post it seems that you have been evaluated by an endocrinologist if not then you definitely need an evaluation.  You are a candidate for a subcutaneous mastectomy.  In order to preserve the blood supply to the nipple you must leave a small amount of breast tissue attached to the under surface of the nipple.  If you still have excessive estrogen then this can cause a recurrence.  Most likely not as large as you are presently.  Best to try to correct the underlying problem first before proceeding with the surgery. 

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Sever Gynecomastia

I do think you should consult a very experienced gynecomastia surgeon.Generally when 95% of the gynecomastia tissue is removed  you should not have a recurrence regardless hormonal problems.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Male Breast Reduction Surgery

Dear Nito,

I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist, if you have not already, to deal with the hormonal issues and optimize that situation.

At the same time, I would have a consultation with a plastic surgeon skilled in male breast reduction surgery. Your surgeon and endocrinologist can work together to optimize your treatment and plan appropriate timing.


David Cangello, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.