How can I decrease the visibility of a five year old scar on my lip? (photo)

Five years ago my braces ripped my lip and I am still left with a scar. It's a small bump that is visible when my lips are wet/dry. How can I limit its visibility?

Scar on lip

The lip is a very delicate area and you have to be conservative about treating this area.  I would try to shrink the scar with intralesional cortisone.  If that doesn't work then I would consult with a plastic surgeon about a small excision in the area.

How can I decrease the visibility of a five year old scar on my lip?

Great RealSelf question. First try ALL non invasive therapies, from steroid injection low dose to micro needling. If still desire more improvement than directed excision would be the invasive step... 

Typically, an injection treatment can be attempted first followed by excision of the small mass of scar tissue if the injections were not effective. Your best bet would be to consult with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to discuss your options. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon