It's day 25 after my TT and I still have my drain in should I worried?

It has reached about 50 ml but at day 21 I was still draining 200.

Drains

Most standard tummy tuck patients have drains for about a week or so. I find that my massive weight loss patients will have them longer .  3-4 wks sometimes. It is important to follow closely with your surgeon.

Drainage after Tummy Tuck

Thanks for reaching out.  Some patients do in fact have their drains in longer than three weeks.  However most are out by then.  It is important that you are wearing your compression garment. This helps reduce the amount of drainage.  Make sure you surgeon has seen you recently so they can evaluate what the fluid looks like.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Lymphatic leak?

Thanks  for this question. You may be having a lymphatic leak and this is causing you to continue to drain. There are therapies that can be applied to slow/stop the leak that a board certified plastic surgeon should address with you. I have tried with fairly good success antibiotic sclerotherapy when faced with this situation. Make sure your surgeon is aware the drain is still in and discuss your concerns and a plan of action. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Drains following a TT are generally out within 3 weeks, and often much sooner. But there are times when they may have to be left longer. You should follow up with your PS and find out why they are still kept inside. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Abdominoplasty drainage

Thanks for your question.

Most drains come out in around one week.  It is not common for them to stay in for 3 weeks, but certainly not unheard of.  If your drainage stays around 50cc's for 24 hour period, you are very close to having it removed.  Follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions.  Continue wearing a compressive garment.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

25 days post op

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (25 days post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Drains after Tummy Tuck

If drains are utilized in an abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck procedure, in my practice they are often removed at around the 1 week post-operative mark.  With that said, it depends on how much fluid output there is within a 24 hour period and there are some instances, for example massive weight loss cases, where the drains will stay in for longer.  

As someone unfamiliar with your specific case and in the absence of a physical exam it is improper for me to advise you on your specific case, but I would recommend discussing your progress and the status of your drains with your operating surgeon.  It is acceptable and sometimes necessary to leave drains in place for 3-4 weeks as long as there are no signs of infection and the fluid drained looks good and healthy.  Please follow up with your operating surgeon as he/she is best able to advise you.  Best of luck on your recovery!

Drain removal post tummy tuck

This is definitely much longer than a drain is typically left in place, but it sounds as if you have had a significant amount of drainage until the last few days.  If you pull a drain prematurely, you can end up having to tap the area with a needle to remove excess fluid, so it can be better to leave the drain in longer to do it's job, rather than simply removing it based solely on length of time it has been in place.  Be sure to keep your appointments with your surgeon so he can monitor your incision and the drainage to be sure you do not have any signs of infection.  

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your tummy tuck!  As long as there are no signs of infection or worry at your drain insertion site it is okay to have a drain in for 25 days or longer.  It appears to still be draining enough that it should be maintained in order to reduce your chance of a seroma formation.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns, they should be providing you with reassurances. 

Drain after tummy tuck

I think that is a long time to have a drain. You should discuss with your surgeon, especially if you are seeing redness around the drain site. Discuss options with him/her. I would lean toward pulling the drain and dealing with fluid build-up afterwards if necessary.

William H. Gorman, MD