Would it be possible to do something to my chin so it would appear normal? (photo)

Would it be possible to reconstruct or displace my jaw so it would appear that i have a normal face. If you can see it is moved a little forward, i would like to make it seem as if it was pushed a little inside my head if that make sense. In addition i would like to know how much surgery like this would cost. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 3

Chin Reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are referring to a chin setback procedure which in your case would be done by moving the chin bone backward. Such a chin procedure would cost between $6,000 and $8,000.

Large chin/jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chin or jaw reduction surgery is certainly possible. I would recommend obtaining a special Xray called a cephalogram and consulting with an oral maxillofacial surgeon to see what would be the best approach (chin, jaw, or both). Significant reductions can sometimes create issues with the airway and cause problems like sleep apnea so make sure you find an experienced surgeon to discuss further. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I advise you taking an X-ray first to see the origin. Either jaw or chin surgery could fix the problem. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.