Will I be able to take care of my 8 month old after a full tummy tuck and breast lift?

A mother of 3..I am getting a full tummy tuck and breast lift soon. I am concerned about taking care of my 8 month old after. He currently is 18 pounds and I am a stay at home mom. My husband is taking off a few days after the surgery to help me but after he goes back I will be taking care of him full time again. I have no other help we moved to a new state and we don't know anyone. Will this be a problem taking care of him?

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Caring for Others

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Tips

Thank you for your question. It is very common to have discomfort for a minimum of one week following a mommy makeover. I like to use On-Q Pain Pumps which provide pain relief for the first five days following surgery. You will most likely need help for at least 1 - 2 weeks with your children. Make sure you have close follow up with your plastic surgeon to address specific concerns. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Taking care of 8 month old baby after mommy makeover

Thanks for your question.  After a mommy makeover, I would recommend having help at least 1-2 weeks with your 8 month old baby.  Perhaps finding a temporary nanny for that period of time would be possible while you recover.  Hope this helps..best of luck!

Recovery

As a mother of three, I would advise you to get help for at least the first 2-3 weeks. Recovery from a tummy tuck is tough and you will not be able to lift your infant for at least the first 2 weeks depending on how you heal. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Taking care of an infant after a mommy makeover.

Most patients in my practice are able to take care of an infant including driving an automobile a week after a full mommy makeover. There are variations of course but I think you'll be fine within that timeframe.

Help with Infants after Mommy Makeover Surgery

I would highly recommend to get help for at least three weeks after the surgery with your young ones. The recovery after the surgery is important and you may injure yourself trying to manage helping your infant if you are alone. Maybe look into professional nursing care for that period.

Good luck!

Recovery

Your recovery is a very important component of your planned cosmetic surgery. It's very difficult to care for a young child after combined cosmetic procedures. You may want to defer...

Get help with childcare for at least a week after mommy makeover

It is very important to ensure that your own healing and recovery get off to a good start before you have to lift or be too active after a mommy makeover. Usually a week is the minimum.

Richard Baxter, MD

Thank you for your question. In my experience after a full tummy tuck and breast lift most patients will need help caring for an 18 pound toddler for at least a week. It is best to have this arranged and not procede with surgery if you do not have back up help.

Recovery After Surgery

When a surgical procedure is performed there are two important aspects to the recovery of the patients. 
The first is pain. Most of us will not do things that cause us pain. So the recovery will depend on how much pain we are having. That depends on what procedure has been performed and how we individually react to the pain. Some of us tolerate quite a bit of pain and some of us don't tolerate any amount of pain. Previous experience, especially with surgery, is a good monitor in that regard.
The second issue is disruption of the surgical procedure by doing too much. The classic example here is the muscle tightening of a tummy tuck procedure. If you stress and strain too aggressively you can pull the stitches apart and disrupt the muscle repair. This could happen as late as 6 weeks after the procedure. Most of us will have sufficient pain experience that we would not stress ourselves enough to disrupt or stitches. With sufficient instructions most of us would not have this complication after surgery.
How much someone can and will do after a procedure is a mixture of the two aspects noted above. 
The other factor that needs to be added to the mix is what activities the patient absolutely has to do after the procedure. If the patient has control of their activity level then they can do what the are comfortable doing. If they try do do something and then find that it hurts too much they have the ability to stop doing that activity.
The problem with child care is that it will be an uncontrollable physical activity that is still required. If you have to pick up a baby you have to pick up the baby. 
Not knowing you or your circumstances I suspect that you will need at least one week of help with the children.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon