During a BBL, what's the difference between injecting fat into the muscle or not?

BBl

It has been proven over and over again that fat should never be injected into the muscle in doing a Brazilian buttock lift. It is extremely dangerous practice. That chances of injecting int a large blood vessel is high

Fat injection

Thank you for your question.  The theory is that injecting intramuscular will give you more viability of fat because of higher vasculature of the muscle tissue.  With that said, intramuscular injections become much riskier due to the presence of larger muscles and nerves.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

There are different schools of thought on this with regard to blood supply and risk for fat embolus.  The result is really a function of how aggressively the surgeon will liposuction and transfer. Most patients get an immense benefit with maximal liposuction of the abdomen, sides, and back to obtain the smallest waist possible and then maximal fat transfer to the buttocks and hips.

BBL and fat injection in the Muscle

Injection the fat in the muscle will reduce the resorption of the fat as the muscle is well vascularized and this will give a long lasting result 

Foued Hamza, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Injecting fat into the muscle should be done carefully using a special technique as the larger vessels are found under the muscle. There can be a difference in the percentage of fat that lasts long term, so I would suggest you seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Fat injection to muscle, subq space or both?

I usually place most of the fat in to the subcutaneous space with a very high success rate. I am sure some goes into the superficial muscle as well, but I do not inject into the deep muscle.

When you transfer the fat into the muscle, fat cells will have more blood supply than the fat injected in the subdermal tissue.

So the fat injected into the muscle have more probabilities to survive and stay than the fat injected in the subdermal tissue.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Muscle

Muscle has a better vascular supply so injecting fat there as well will increase the "take" of fat injected, meaning more of the fat placed at the time of BBL will live and remain.  The one unsolved problem with fat injections anywhere in the body (face, breasts, hands, buttock) is a certain amount of the fat cells transplanted die as they do not develop a new blood supply.  Injecting into much less improves the odds!

Michael A. Giuffrida, MD
Venice Plastic Surgeon