After receiving a breast lift with close to desired result, can it negatively affect growth of breasts during pregnancy?

Like if a 30 year old received a successful breast lift, would she have problems during a pregnancy and breast feeding at 32?

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

It takes 6 weeks to heal and I wait 12 months before any scar revision.

It should not effect breast feeding.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breastfeeding can be affected

A breast lift does not generally interfere with breast growth but it can have a negative impact on breastfeeding. In addition, pregnancy can negatively affect your breast lift results.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Changes may happen

With the growth of the breasts during pregnancy, and the added weight, they may stretch out some.  I would wait 3-6 months after you are done breastfeeding to even consider another surgery.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Risks of Surgery and Pregnancy

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during you consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing

While it would depend on what incision you received and the overall procedure completed, there is always the risk of affecting your ability to breastfeed later if you have a breast lift before childbirth. The best thing to do would be to take all of your questions and concerns to a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what procedure may be your best option to maintain the fewest risk with pregnancy and breastfeeding in the future.

Breast lift and pregnancy.

Thank you for your question.  Having a prior breast lift should not impact your breasts ability to expand or change with changes such as pregnancy or weight fluctuations.  There is a small chance of difficulty with breast feeding after any surgery on the breast, but the risks are low.  Many women have difficulty breast feeding, and it can be difficult to say whether or not it was related to surgery.  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and pregnancy

Thanks for your question. Most surgery for breast lift takes place in the superficial layers of the breast. because of this nipple sensory loss and difficulty breastfeeding a are low risk, but not zero risk. It is always safest to have an alternative plan if breastfeeding is difficult just in case.

If you do have a lift before pregnancy it is possible that you will relax again after breastfeeding and require another lift. for this reason some women will wait until they are done having children.

Hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and breast feeding

Depending upon the technique used and the amount of tissue removed, breast feeding may be impacted. Best of luck.

Breast lift effect during pregnancy

Your breasts will enlarge during pregnancy and the lift will not impede this. Certainly, that enlargement as well as breast feeding can result in sagging afterwards such that additional correction may be necessary.  In terms of breast feeding, no one can assume the ability to do so in advance for a variety of reasons.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

A breast lift should not involve her adversely effect the breast gland.  However the incisions around the areola can possibly damage the ducts that carry milk and potentially adversely effect breast-feeding. For more information on breast lift please read the link below:

Breast lift prior to pregnancy

Hi, if you have a breast lift now, then your breasts should still enlarge normally during pregnancy.  You should still be able to breastfeed as well, as the ducts to the nipple are not being touched or cut during the procedure.  This is assuming that you would be able to breastfeed now, prior to any breast surgery.  However, following pregnancy and breastfeeding, your breasts may sag again and lose some volume in the upper portion of the breast.  This is most noticeable in women who have had more than one child.  For this reason, we generally advising waiting on a breast lift until after you are done having children.  Best wishes.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS