Can 86 year old woman have some facial surgery to make wrinkles visable

I am 86 would like to get my wrinles visable

Wrinkle Reduction in Elderly

I suspect you mean making your wrinkles "less visible". There are many surgical and non-surgical methods to achieve this including peels, lasers and other energy sources. See a board certified cosmetic specialist for an exam and recommendations. 

86 year old wanting facelift surgery

Dear dianafarina:
Facial wrinkles can be treated with a number of approaches, ranging from injection of "fillers", to laser resurfacing, to surgical "tightening" of the skin of the face and neck. Without photos, it is difficult to recommend which course would be best for you. However,
mere age is not the primary determining factor--if a person is healthy and active in their 80's, they can still have facelift surgery safely (especially when done with sedation, under local anesthesia, instead of taking the risk of undergoing a general anesthesia). Talk with a board-certified plastic surgeon about your options, and best wishes!
James H. Scheu, M.D.

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Surgery to remove wrinkles

Thank you for your question. I am guessing that you would like to diminish your wrinkles.  Please schedule a consult with a reputable board certified facial plastic surgeon in your geographical area. Your surgeon will discuss the risks and benefits of your recommended treatment plan.  Best of luck.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have done facelifts on people in their 90s who were healthy and excellent candidates.  Yet I have declined to operate on patients in their 60s for health or risk reasons.  Consult a plastic surgeon with excellent credentials and experience with older patients to see if you're a candidate.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Age may be just a number, but it is a general reflection of the body's ability to heal following surgery.  I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon who will evaluate your overall health status for procedures, and recommend procedures (surgical or nonsurgical) which may help you out and are safe.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Face lift in late age

If you are healthy you can safely have face-neck lift or any similar facial rejuvenation procedure done in local anesthesia. You should consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area with good reputation in facial surgery and discuss your options and risks involved. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Can an 86 year old lessen her wrinkles using surgery?

I believe you are asking to remove wrinkles.  This depends on the evaluating doctors recommendation and exam.  Wrinkles may be improved non surgically too.

If you are asking if you're too old for surgery, this depends on your state.  If you are healthy, mobile, active and can obtain medical clearance, you most definitely can have surgery, if indicated.  I have safely performed facelift surgery in many patients who are in their 80's.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can 86 year old woman have some facial surgery to make wrinkles less visible.

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. Chemical peels are a great way to decrease the appearance of facial wrinkles. At 86, a minimally invasive SMAS facelift could be performed under a local anesthetic in 90 minutes to remove excess skin from the face and under the chin. I often combine a full face 30 TCA peel at the same time as the limited skin dissection allows peeling to be be done at the same time. I have included information about the facelift below.

I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Improve wrinkles at age 86?

Thank you for asking about your facial wrinkles.

• If you are healthy, you can have anything from a face and neck lift - to skin creams -
  • And everything in-between - e.g. peels, lasers, microneedling.
  • I have done all of these in women in their 80s - your age is not an obstacle as long as you are healthy.
  • So find a plastic surgeon you like and make a plan that suits you!
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Options for facial rejuvenation in your 80's

Thanks for sharing.  You have options to decrease wrinkles.  Non invasive options from lasers and peels to face and neck lifting.  I have performed facelifts on 38 to 89 year olds.  Under local anesthesia may be a safer option for you. Consult with a few experienced board certified facial plastic surgeons to review your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD