11 months post op Posssible Open roof deformity? (photos)

I had rhinoplasty to remove a hump and I am aware that before surgery I had an extremely narrow nose but after waiting months for the swelling to go down, I noticed that my nose is still too wide. Is it possible that I have open roof?

Removing a nasal hump can make the nose look wider

An open roof deformity is a very specific diagnosis and can be determined by feeling the top of the nose. Even without it, the bony upper third can look wider after removing a hump. This an optical result of reducing a hump making the eyes appear wider apart, but also the result of lowering the top of the pyramid. This may be rectified by further narrowing the bridge.

Open roof deformity

Based on the photographs there is no evidence of open roof deformity.  However, if you still want the nose to be narrower,a revision can be performed. You have to be more specific if you want the upper half of the nose to be narrowed or the nostril area.  If you're concerned about the nostrils being wide than an alar plasty alone can fix the problem.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

It sounds as if the best course of action would be for you to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to be assessed in person and discuss the possibility of a revision rhinoplasty. This is sadly not something that can be determined from a photo.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Revision, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns about your Rhinoplasty with us.

Congratulations for having patience and wait more than six months PO, which is the recommended time allowed to make judgments of value and be precise and accurate.

After having analyzed all the info and photos provided to us, i recommend to perform a Secondary Rhinoplasty (not a tip revision) this means (basically) treat the nasal bones and the nasal cartilages.
Therefore i would perform a narrowing of the nasal base (nose osteotomy) and alar and triangular cartilage shaping.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Possible open roof deformity

You do not appear to have an open roof deformity.  I recommend following up with your rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your concerns.  It is possible that a revision procedure may be necessary to get your nose where you want it to be. 

Good luck!!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open Roof Deformity

Thanks for your question. Based on on your photos, it does appear that you have an open roof deformity. With this deformity, you would have a very flat appearance, almost like a plateau. While I agree that your bridge is a little wide, this may continue to improve with time as the swelling resolves. An in person consultation would be helpful in determining if this is just swelling or if you could benefit from revision surgery. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

You do not appear to have an open rood deformity in the photos. You still may have some swelling that can contribute to wideness. More details about your surgery would be necessary.

Osteotomies may be performed during rhinoplasty to narrow your bridge after hump removal.

Your bridge appears a bit wide on front view after rhinoplasty. An examination would be necessary to see if osteotomies might lead to a narrower bridge. Hope this helps. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

Thanks for your post. You do not appear to have an open roof deformity. For questions concerning your nasal appearance, I recommend you visit with your physician for your one year post operative visit and candidly discuss your concerns. I suspect that overtime, you may see further improvement in nasal width as you experience a longterm recovery. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon