How long do I take painkillers? (Photo)

My PS recommend 2 narcos every 4 hours. But only gave me enough for 3 days. I'm 5 days post op and still in excruciating pain. I did go from a 32A to a 34DD so I know the skin has to stretch but is it inappropriate to ask for more painkillers? Motrin just isn't cutting it. Here's a photo just for reference

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Post-op pain

I am sorry you are still in so much pain following breast augmentation. Most breast augmentation patients need narcotic pain medication for the first 3-5 days. After 5 days, Motrin is used to ease the inflammatory discomfort. Excruciating pain is not common at this point in your recovery, and may require a physical exam by your plastic surgeon. Are you doing a lot of activity with your upper body? It is best to avoid pushing, pulling, or lifting greater than 5 pounds for at least two weeks after surgery. Even seemingly simple tasks, like laundry and cleaning, will prolong the healing process. 

Pain pills

Thank you for your question. It is not unreasonable ask for more especially in large implants. Please talk to your surgeon.

Still in pain?

Thanks for this question. With larger breast implants you will have more pain and so you should go your doctor's office for an examination and get a new prescription. I think it is totally appropriate to ask for more pain relief  and consider a muscle relaxant as well. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Five days post op

Best advice is to follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation. If all is well, it is reasonable for them to give you some more pain meds to help you get through the initial recovery period.

Pain post BAM

Hi mgautz

Post operative pain is somewhat subjective in that different people may respond differently to the same trauma. If you have implants under the muscle, it is not unreasonable to expect pain pills for about a week to 10 days, and sometimes even longer.

Because of the subjectivity, if you are in "excruciating pain", you should notify your surgeon so that he can assist you.

All the best.

Sek

How Long for Pain Killers After Breast Augmentation

Patients have different levels of pain tolerance, most breast augmentation patients only need pain meds for the first few days, however, not everyone is the same. Surgeons want their patients comfortable, you should contact your surgeon. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

How long do I take painkillers?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your continued chest discomfort after your breast augmentation.  Each patient heals and responds to pain differently, with some requiring a longer course of prescription pain medication use than others.  I would reach out to your surgeon and explain your symptoms, they should be able to help you appropriately.

How long do I take painkillers?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I recommend you to take pain killers for 10 days at least, and if you're still feeling discomfort or any pain, contact your surgeon.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Pain medication after Breast Augmentation

Every patient's tolerance for pain varies, so the amount of time taking pain medication varies as well. It is absolutely ok to talk to your plastic surgeon about options for reducing your discomfort. Aside from additional pain medication, Celebrex and/or muscle relaxers can help as well. Don't be worried about talking to your ps. That is what he/she is there for. Good Luck!