Capsular contracture concern 10 days after lift and augmentation? How long will it take them to drop? (Photo)

10 days ago I had a lift and breast augmentation with silicone implants. The day after surgery I had a checkup and when my bandages were removed they said my implants were high. How long will it take them to drop? I've been suggested to massage and squeeze them 10 times a day along with wearing a band to push them down. I'm following all procedures and am becoming extremely obsessed with the fact I might have a capsular contraction already. Any ideas suggestions to ease my mind?

Capsular Contracture Concerns

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation and breast lift surgery is characterized by rapid change. During this period of time, swelling, muscle spasm, inflammation and the healing process itself all contribute to changes in the appearance of a woman's breasts. In some cases, swelling and muscle spasm can displace the breast implants in a superior direction when implants are placed beneath the muscle. Based on your pictures, I believe this is a distinct possibility.

In some cases, superior implant displacement may be due to inadequate dissection of the muscle insertions of the inferior breast pocket. There's no evidence that this has occurred in this particular case. With time, assuming adequate pocket dissection, these implants might return to a more normal position. Sometimes, the use of a bandeau superiorly and massage may facilitate this process.

It may take 3 to 6 months for these implants to drop into normal position. If no progress has occurred by then, revisional surgery may be necessary. This would involve recreating the lower breast pocket.

It's important to maintain good communication with your plastic surgeon. Make sure he is aware of your concerns. He's familiar with the specifics of your surgery and will be able to give you appropriate direction.

Implants High After Augmentation With Breast Lift

No you don't have capsular contracture.  At this point there isn't even a capsule formed yet around the implants.  The capsule take months to form and more months to fully mature.  Capsular contracture typically doesn't develop until many many years after surgery.  If your surgeon put the implants in the subpectoral space than the lifetime risk of developing capsular contracture is only about 5%. 

All implants appear "high" after augmentation with or without breast lift.  During the procedure the implants are in good position and the lift is made according to the implants.  However, after surgery the pectoralis muscles tighten significantly resulting in the look you have now.  It takes 3-6 months for all implants to fully settle. This is a gradual process so be patient and don't look for the end result until the summer.

Do I have capsular contracture? (PHOTO)

Thank you very much for your enquiry and your photograph. It looks as if you have had a breast augmentation possibly under the muscle and a crescent breast lift. In most cases the implants do drop slightly with time and it is good to continue to wear the band to put firmness on the upper part of the breasts to encourage the implants to descend slightly. At this stage, 10 days following surgery, you are very unlikely to have capsular contracture as this normally develops in the months if not years after the operation. For your peace of mind I think it would be worthwhile scheduling a consultation with your Plastic Surgeon just to go through some of your concerns and to discuss the best way forward for you.

Best wishes

Normal for now

Way too early to worry about capsular contracture.  Your implants will take to settle and that is different for everyone but a good rule of thumb is around 3-6 months.  I've never been impressed with the crescent lift that was chosen for you and it divides the blood supply to your nipple that comes from above which I never think is a good option if at all possible to keep. I think you will still have some droop of your breast off the implant, but maybe not.  Don't worry or obsess about the capsular contracture though.

High implants

Thank you for your pictures. Your implant position shits change over the next three months. You still probably will have breast droop off the bottom of the implants because you didn't really have a traditional lift.

Capsular contracture

Capsular contracture does not develop ten days after augmentation. Your implants are quite large and then are high. It will take time for them to drop so be patient. Given the photo, it is quite possible that you would have benefited from an augment/pexy. Using implants that are large is not a substitute for this but only time will tell.

Capsular contracture concern 10 days after lift and augmentation? How long will it take them to drop?

From your ONE posted photo it appears as a large implant in the 500 cc+ range and a crescent lift operation. In my over the internet opinion you may have needed a more lift operation. But if the implants descend over the next month and you are happy than no need for any further surgery... 

Breast augmentation healing

Breast capsules do not happen in 10 days. Most implants that are high during the first 2-6 weeks is due to muscle spasm. Discuss with your surgeon. He may have you wear a band, massage, or use muscle relaxants. Your photo is not unusual for 10 days.

Implants high after lift + implants

Your implants are high because they are under the muscle.
This is not a capsule.
Under the muscle is where implants need to be placed when a lift is done with implants.
The muscle is in spasm - forcing the implants up.
Time and massage will help to bring them down.
It may take 6 weeks. best wishes.

Breasts Haven't Dropped Yet

Chances are you do not have capsular contracture since it is still early in your recovery. Your breasts have not dropped, yet, and this causes the firmness and abnormal height at which they sit. Please allow about 3-4 months for your breasts to drop.