Swelling 2 weeks post liposuction. Should I be concerned?

I had lipo on back, abdomen, and upper arms. 2 weeks post op and my sides are still uneven with bumps. My back is still swollen and seems bigger than pre-op. My abdomen is a little down but have lots of lumps. I didn't do any surgery to my legs but they are swollen. I went back to work 5 days post surgery. I walk as my form of excercise. Should i be concerned? I know it's early and this is my first.

Please don't worry at just 2 weeks post-op liposuction.  It is normal to experience swelling this soon after your procedure.  You should notice improvement about 2 months after your procedure and it should continue to get better and better as time goes on.  I know it's difficult but try to practice patience.  Be sure to continue to go to your follow up appointments so your recovery can be tracked.  Best of luck! ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post liposuction

Thanks for your question.

Very simple...it is totally normal to have swelling two weeks post surgery.  It takes at least one month before much of the swelling to resolve.  See your Plastic Surgeon with any questions that arise over the next few weeks.

Best of luck.

Dr. Taranow

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Should you be concerned by swelling 2 weeks post-op?

At this point in the post-operative period, swelling is normal and part of the healing process.  Keep an eye on your progress and don't be afraid to reach out to your PS to have your mind put at ease.  Best of luck!

Swelling after surgery

Swelling after liposuction is very typical.  Check with your surgeon about resuming your walking and about using compression to help with swelling and comfort. He/she may also suggest some massaging of the areas you feel are uneven.  You should see your swelling start to decrease over the next few weeks. Good luck!

Camille Cash, MD

Swollen after 2 weeks

Thanks for your question. No need to worry as you are still in the healing process. Most likely, you won't start seeing results until a month after the surgery.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Expect significant swelling two weeks after liposuction.

At two weeks one can expect and appreciable amount of swelling after liposuction. This is not necessarily inhibit physical activity.

Worried about liposuction recovery at 2 weeks

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

I hope it reassures you to know that everyone worries about their result after 2 weeks.
  • You are more swollen than you realize - it may be another month before you see a big improvement.
  • Ask your surgeon if you can resume walking - generally that is fine at this point.
  • Going back to work at 5 days is fairly standard.
  • The swelling in your legs is from gravity pulling swelling down from your toros.
  • Often swelling make women larger at first - so that is ok too.
  • It is always wise at this stage to have your surgeon check you in person to be sure all is well and to reassure you.
  • You will need to wait x 6 months to see your final result.
  • Massage may help - ask your surgeon if this is ok to try now.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Swelling after Lipo

You are absolutely right!  It is EARLY in your healing process, and I find that at the 10 - 21 day post-op period is when most of my patients experience maximum swelling.  So do not be alarmed!  Hydrate, massage as tolerated, and compress.  Continue your walking as tolerated.  This will aid lymphatic flow and blood circulation, and assist with more expedient healing.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and a happy outcome!

Windell Davis-Boutte, MD

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Early post-op lipo

During the first few weeks after liposuction it is fairly common to feel some irregularities like firmness, and have swelling. If you are concerned, then you should speak to your surgeon.

Results from Liposuction

It is normal to have a good bit of swelling two weeks after liposuction. The results are not fully apparent until about 3 months after liposuction.

To be sure, return to see your doctor or see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS