Could this realistically be AA? I'm driving myself (and others around me) nuts because I'm lost. 2 derms down and still nothing.

Both derms ruled out AA because there isn't a single smooth area on my head (aside from the existing smooth MPB area). Haven't gone the biopsy route. Could this be diffuse AA? If so, how likely? Or (in absence of visible head patches), should I be seriously looking into other avenues? Seen my 3 months ago about joint pain, negative rheumatoid and ANA. SED rate was 11. 33 and male. My TSH was 2.1. negative thyroglobulin antibody test and awaiting thyroid TPO and testosterone. Many thanks.

I cannot answer your question with certainty, however if two dermatologists have ruled out AA, then the odds are with their diagnosis being correct. Get the biopsy done by one or both of the same dermatologist. Good Luck.

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Ruling AA out?

ahairysituation,

Sounds like a scalp biopsy might be a good idea. It will determine if there is any pathology around the sweat giand of the follicle indicating possible scaring alopecia or the follicular papilla consistent with alopecia areata.

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

AA or not

The diagnosis of Alopecia Areata is made by biopsy and that way you will be sure one way of the other.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is this diffuse AA?

Without photos and seeing your scalp, I can't say.  Dermatologists are experts in the diagnosis of hair loss - so if two terms say a patient does not have AA, the odds of that patient having AA become very low. Of course, the odds aren't zero.

There are 20 other causes of hair loss. I'd bet other diagnoses are more likely than diffuse AA.