What is a permanent and guaranteed fix for my double chin? (photos)

I am a 52 year old African American and I exercise 3 times a week weight 143. I am bothered by my double chin that I feel makes me look older. I hate it and want a permanent solution. I researched Kybella and laser liposuction but not sure. What are your thoughts. I would consider invasive if the fat will be removed and my

Kybella Can Permanently Remove Double Chin

It can be very frustrating to work so hard to be healthy and fit, yet not be able to eliminate a stubborn pocket of fat, such as a double chin. Kybella uses deoxycholic acid – a natural substance found in our bodies -- to dissolve submental fat, allowing the body to eliminate it permanently. It can take from one to five treatments to achieve desired results.  Patients that were injected 5 years ago by me in the clinical trial still have maintained their results regardless of weight fluctuations. Please see a board-certified dermatologist to find out how to get the jawline you desire.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella for the double chin

Kybella is an excellent injection for the double chin and is very effective.  An advantage of Kybella is that it is non-invasive and you can return to work the next day.  Surgery is more invasive and requires recovery.  Please consult an expert.  I often combine Kybella with Thermage to tighten the skin for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella and CoolMini are both relatively new non-invasive treatments for a double chin.

Kybella and CoolMini are both relatively new non-invasive treatments for a double chin that work very well to significantly reduce fat in that area. Kybella uses deoxycholic acid injections to achieve results, while CoolMini uses cryolipolisis technology to “freeze” and destroy fat cells. Once the fat cells are gone, they are gone permanently. As long as you maintain your healthy diet and lifestyle, you should not have a problem with your double chin coming back. I suggest visiting a board-certified dermatologist for a consultation to see what the best treatment for you is.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question, apg1. Find comfort knowing that you are not alone - many individuals struggle to eliminate their double chin despite their healthy diets and active workout lifestyle. I suggest you consider Kybella, a permanent solution to vanquishing "double chin" that provides the comfort of a non-invasive in-office treatment and minimal recovery time with little to no discomfort. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent fix for double chin

Thanks for the question and photos. It is difficult to tell from your photos if the area beneath your chin is excess fat or if it is excess skin.  Kybella is a permanent fix for small pockets of fat beneath the chin.  Kybella can help tighten the skin. but to a much lesser degree.  Larger and more diffuse distributions of fat are better treated with procedures like liposuction.  Both Kybella and liposuction are permanent treatments because the number of actual fat cells is being decreased.  I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine this area beneath your chin and provide you with a good recommendation.  Best of luck!

Kybella vs Coolmini vs Liposuction

Fantastic question! Good to know all of your options.
There are multiple factors that go into answering this question...
If there is a lot of fat, liposuction is your best bet. This can be done in-office under local anesthesia.
If surgery is not something you are comfortable with, Coolsculpting would be your best bet financially... as long as the Coolsculpting applicator fits and you are okay with more time to see full results (than liposuction). If your jaw is too small or the amount of fat too little, the CoolMini may not fit.
Lastly, if you have a small amount of fat and the CoolMini applicator doesn't fit your face, I would go with Kybella. There is a significant recovery period with Kybella and the product is not cheap. That is why I reserve it for people with a small amount of submental fat.
My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Double Chin Reduction

Kybella can result in 10-15% reduction of fat similar to Coolshape. Middle age patients usually don't need skin tightening after fat reduction as the skin shrinks enough on its own.
Liposuction typically reduces 50% of fat in one session. RF treatments like Velashape and Thermitight plus Deoxycholic Acid the main ingredient of Kybella can result in somewhat more than 15% reduction in the amount of double chin fat with three to five sessions.
The most dramatic results in the neck are achieved with a laser/liposuction with Precision tx; results noticeable at ten days.
Patients should do the math (all these treatments cost nearly the same) and go for what is in their best interest and most reliable. No treatments are guaranteed; legitimate physicians should not promise results.
Please use this information when consulting in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. They will be most capable of advising what is best for you.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

"Double chin"

You're using two words that I would use caution in using: "permanent" and "guaranteed". Before you decide on any treatment, your surgeon should explain that no results are "guaranteed" and that there are risks to every procedure. Also, theoretically, no procedure results are "permanent" as no procedure can "halt" the aging process or prevent future weight gain.

All of that being said, you could be a good candidate for either Kybella injections or liposuction. As others have noted, the issue of skin laxity should be considered in this area. The most important advice someone could give you would be to see an experienced board-certified surgeon with significant experience in treating this particular area and with proven results. You need to have a thorough exam and in-depth discussion with that person regarding your various options.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Kybella candidate

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concerns with us. As a trainer for Kybella, I spend a lot of time teaching the safe and effective practice of administering Kybella, and assessing patients to help determine if they would be a candidate. As a plastic surgeon, I can also offer different options such as a neck lift and/or liposuction as well as many other non-surgical procedures that can affect the neck such as the Coolsculpting mini, Ulthera and Profound. As with any procedure, the experience and technique is the most important determinant of a good and safe outcome. I would recommend visiting with a plastic surgeon who also has a great deal of experience with non-surgical options so you can determine which option(s) are the best for you.

Kybella gives permanent results for double chin treatment

Kybella results are permanent but no one can guarantee how much improvement you will have as it varies between patients and depends on how many treatments you have.  As an Orange County Kybella trainer, I have treated many patients andyave seen great results in most patients after 2-4 treatments.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon