I'm getting a mommy make over in Bogota in a month. Will I need a regular doctor/PS for follow up in New York?

I will like to find out if I need a regular dr. Or a Ps for follow up in New York after my return from Bogota ?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Traveling after surgery, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice I recommend to ma patients to wait at least 2 weeks in the country to avoid unnecesary complications. Its good for you to flight back with a high percent of good recovery.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Follow up after surgery out of the country

Thank you for your question.  It is definitely a good idea to have a doctor (ideally a Plastic Surgeon) who you can follow up with.  What if you have a complication after your surgery?  Are you going to fly back to your surgeon?  The full recovery from a mommy makeover, depending on what you have done, can take several months.  I would try to remain by your original surgeon as long as possible after your surgery so he/she can take care of you and any postoperative issues that might arise.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Plastic Surgery Vacation

Hello and thank you for this question!  
Cosmetic surgery combined with travel to exotic places might sound like a great idea, but both travel and surgery come with their own risks, and putting them together increases the possibilities of adverse effects.  Here is why you should think twice about traveling for your cosmetic surgery:

•Follow-up care may be unavailable. Problems, most often minor, which require surgical revisions or other treatment, are always a possibility, so it is important that your surgeon is accessible. Most doctors are reluctant to handle problems, even minor ones, of surgeries they did not perform, particularly if they are unsure what techniques were used initially.

•Both air travel and major surgery increase your risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or a pulmonary embolism. Flying soon, before or after your operation abroad, combines and compounds these risks, particularly if your overseas flight is long.

Further, it’s not easy to evaluate your doctor’s credentials abroad, the surgical facility may not be safe, you may not be comfortable with a doctor you haven’t met, it’s hard to evaluate the standards for anesthesia and nursing care.  

Carefully consider the total costs involved with having surgery abroad, including the additional time off work required for travel and recovery, the costs of air travel and extended stays abroad, potential costs if surgery revisions are needed and unanticipated expenses if complications occur. Cosmetic surgery abroad can be a safe experience with excellent outcomes. However we strongly recommend that you do your homework in advance and be fully comfortable with all the issues before making a commitment of time or money.

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Traveling Out of the Country for a Mommy Makeover

This is a very good question. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.

Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States. 

I appreciate your question.

It would be a good idea for you to find a board certified plastic surgeon in New York that can see you for follow up when you return from Bogota.  You can ask your surgeon on Bogota to refer you to someone in NY or you can also check the American Society of Plastic Surgery website.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Mommy makeover abroad

The short answer is yes, but you may have difficulty finding one. Most plastic surgeons are either uncomfortable or unwilling to care for "someone else's" patient. If you choose to have surgery abroad, try your best to stay there for as long as you need to make sure you don't have any obvious acute needs. Best of luck. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Follow up care after surgery abroad

I would think twice about having surgery abroad. Although this is becoming much more popular there are still considerable risks and dangers. The surgeon himself may be excellent, but standards of Sterility and hygiene are notoriously low  in foreign hospitals and clinics. If you get an infection or serious complication you will be thousands and thousands of miles away from friends or family. In addition most plastic surgeons will not take on a patient or complication that has occurred from foreign surgery. If you get a problem you would likely have to go to the emergency room and be treated as an emergency patient. Foreign surgery can seem very attractive due to the costs and the savings. Is this worth permanent disfiguring injury or death?

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Management of the mommy makeover patient returning home from medical tourism.

It is the responsibility of your surgeon to supervise convalescence. If he releases you to return home it is the surgeons responsibility to make arrangements for follow-up if they are needed.

DR DERBY SANG

We recommend at least a 14 days recovery time here in the country before travelling back home. If you can meet Doctors instructions then you can safely travel and have a surgery done abroad. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Medical tourism

Hello. You need to seek your care in the US so that you can have appropriate follow-up. Many surgeons are uncomfortable taking care of patients with complications from outside of the US although they often do so under duress. You can get good care abroad but without organized aftercare by your treating surgeon the risk is your own.

Good luck. 

Dr. B