I have had my breast implants almost 1 year now and they look horrible! What could have went wrong & can they be fixed? (photo)

Breast Implants look horrible almost 1 year now

It appears from your photograph that your breast implants have "bottomed out." The term " bottoming out " stands for breasts that have descended on the chest wall after surgery. The way this can be revised is the placement of sutures at the lower pole of the breasts to re elevate the breast implants on the chest wall. This is called a "capsulorrhaphy."  It acts like an internal bra or cast to maintain the breasts in a higher position. Initially the breast implants should look over corrected to allow for some relaxation of the tissues . A supportive bra should be worn post surgery to maintain the capsulorrhaphy repair. In my opinion, you should make an appt with your board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated in person . Best of luck ! 

Breast implant bottoming out

Your implants are too low and not centered under the nipples. Lots of different things could have gone wrong and the limited information in your post does not help discern what went wrong. The problem is you are in a very difficult situation because you have very little breast tissue, thin skin and fat layers and no shelf on which to sit the implants at a higher level. Going in with the idea of only putting sutures in the capsule can set you up for additional problems if the capsules are too thin to hold a suture. I suspect you will need an acellular dermal sling to hold it up and a prolonged period of bra support/splinting after surgery. It is unclear how these implants were placed as there are no visible scars. Judging from their position I suspect they were placed via the belly button which could be the cause of your problem.

They can be fixed but you need to be very careful choosing a surgeon and should see at least 3 surgeons before deciding on the one to do it. It's unlikely you wll want to go back to the original surgeon. It would be best if you took a copy of the operative report from your previous surgeon with you when see other surgeons. The surgeon you choose should explain how he or she is going to reef up the shelf that the implants sit on and how they are going to get sufficient exposure to do so.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Bottoming out of the breast implants

As my colleagues have all said, you have bottoming out of the implants. This can occur for a variety of reasons, but the treatment is the same - revision of the breasts with reconstruction of the breast folds using internal sutures or biologic mesh. You should be seen in person by a plastic surgeon experienced in complex breast revision cases. 

Bottoming out

The implants looked like they bottomed out.  Best to be seen in person to have a revision. Good luck with moving forward.!

Breast augmentation question

It appears that you have "bottoming out" of your implants. They are sitting low and making your nipple position appear high. Ideally, The implant should be centered underneath the nipple. There are a number of ways to fix this. See a plastic surgeon who is experienced in revising breast augmentations.

Implant deformity

Yes, the appearance can be improved surgically.  It is likely to cost you more than your original surgery.  First seek a consultation with your original surgeon and see if he or she can help.  Otherwise seek out an experienced board certified plastic surgeon (or two) for another opinion and some help.  Choose someone who does breast implant surgery regularly and has experience in fixing these kinds of problems.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out

Your implants have bottomed out.  This can be fixed by using suturing tecniques or even some acellular dermal matrix to recreate and support the lower fold.

Breast Augmentation Revision

The pocket for your implants has gotten too low, called bottoming out. Both pockets need to be revised, sutured back into position, sometimes acellular dermal matrix is needed to act as a sling. Go back to your surgeon or get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast implants

When the implants settle below the breast creases, it's called bottoming out. This can be fixed with an operation.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Breast Implant Concerns

Thank you for your question, the photographs. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon your/this specific concern. Yes, it appears as if your implants have "bottomed out" and this is what is causing your anxiety. It is best to go see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon