How many cc's and profile would be best for my body type? (Photos)

Hello, I'm 5'8 and 130 pounds. I'm currently sitting at 34A breast size. I'd like to be a full D size after surgery. I feel better with saline. I would love to get my surgery next year.

Choosing an implant

This is quite a difficult thing to answer online, and the best way is to have a few consultations with a board certified plastic surgeons who can examine you and have you try on sizers.
It is important to realize that the ultimate breast size and shape depend upon so very many variables.  A 300 cc implant on a petite woman with a thin frame may look quite large, but that same implant in an overweight woman may be barely noticeable.  Size and shape of the result depend upon the volume of the implant, the shape of the implant, if it is over or under the muscle, your skin and its resilience, stretch marks, the degree of breast sagging, chest circumference, amount and distribution of the natural breast tissue, etc.  For this reason, it is impossible to give reliable advice based simply upon height and weight, or even photos. 
The only way to approach reliable predictions is with an in-person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon, the use of sizers, 3-D imaging, and most importantly, relying upon the skill, expertise, and experience of your chosen  Board-Certified Plastic surgeon.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Choosing an implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Breast Implants - Best implant for your body type

The best recommendation you will receive will come from an in-person consultation and physical exam.  It is nearly impossible to advise you as to the best implant (size, profile and shape) for you based upon photos alone since implant selection is highly individualized and based on your desired cosmetic result, amount of native breast tissue (or soft tissue coverage), and your anatomy.  You would be surprised at how variable patients definitions of a full D cup size are and how different the same implant can look on two different individuals (even on two sisters!). 

In my practice I offer patients various sizing methods using computer analysis and physical implant sizers to help elucidate what the patients cosmetic goals are and to show patients what various size, profile, and shape implants would look like on their body frame.  Sometimes I find that patients come in for consultation thinking that they want a specific look and a specific implant, but when shown what that will actually look like the goal can change slightly.

If you are interested in a breast augmentation procedure, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to review your options and best discuss implant sizing.  An in-person evaluation is essential and will provide you with the most qualified advice.  I hope that you find this helpful and I wish you all of the best.

Breast augmentation

The way I go through sizing a patient requires an exam in person to evaluate their anatomy. This includes performing certain measurements, assessing asymmetry, looking at skin and soft tissue thickness, etc.. During this process I review with the patient their goals and go over implant types, incisions approaches, surgical technique, etc..  Then we choose an implant range. I also have patient try on implants many times, and go home and perform a baggy test to confirm the volumes discussed. In general, the patient tells me the volume that they want that fits into a range we discussed in the office. I think over the 20 years in practice, I had one or two patients come back wanting to be bigger.

Breast augmentation

Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The right breast implant for you is more than just cc's and profile type.  Breast augmentation involves a number of different issues.  The first step would be to clearly define your desired breast outcome goals – this would include the size you would like to achieve, and your ideal breast shape.  I would then select the best breast implant for you based on:

(1)   Volume of the implant – actual implant sizers that you try on during your consultation can help with this.  I commonly used the Mentor volume sizing system for this purpose.

(2)   Contents of the implant – saline vs silicone, saline tends to be a little stiffer, rounder and can cause rippling of the skin

(3)   Shape of the implant – round or anatomic;  I would show you how both round and anatomic can provide a natural shape

(4)   Position of the implant – if it is over or under the pectoralis muscle; each location would provide a different shape and projection

(5)   Skin stretch of your breast – younger patients tend to have more taught skin with more… SHOW MORE resilience, and respond well to an implant; compared to an older breast with more stretch marks, which would typically requiring a larger volume to fill the breast

(6)   Degree of breast ptosis (sagging) – a significant sag would benefit from a breast lift

(7)   Breast diameter and overall chest circumference

(8)   Native breast tissue volume – the amount and distribution of the natural breast tissue.

(9)   Any history of prior surgery or trauma to the breast

The next step for you is to find the right aesthetic plastic surgeon.  In your consultation, be sure your surgeon addresses all your concerns and discusses the surgery details including the position and size of the incision used (with actual photographs), the type of breast implants available, the risks and benefits of the procedure, recovery time, and post-operative course.  Also, be sure to see plenty of before-and-after pictures in women who have a similar breast appearance to yours, and preferably at different time frames (3 weeks out, 3 months out, etc) to more accurately predict your own surgical outcome.

And lastly, I think the most important component of the consultation is to establish a good connection with your plastic surgeon.  It’s the connection that allows you to clearly define your desired breast outcome goals, the first step of this whole process. If you don’t feel you have a good connection with your plastic surgeon after your consultation, he/she may not be the best surgeon for you.

Good luck.

Mark K Markarian, MD, MSPH

Harvard-trained Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Good luck.

Mark K Markarian, MD, MSPH

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast augmentation

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

How many cc's and profile would be best for my body type?

Thank you for your question.  Your desired result photo shows implants that are larger than 400 cc.  Your breast implant size should be based on a measurement of the base width of your breast which your surgeon will measure.  It is important to choose a breast implant that has a diameter that matches or is less than the width of your breast. To learn more about sizing please read below:

Implant size

Dear wendythomson1233,

determining the ideal breast size and matching that goal for the patient is the most difficult part of breast augmentation. It starts and ends with the patient. We have all of our patients find 3 photos of their desired breast size. We ask for naked breast photos because clothing can obscure the true size (push up bras). Next, we consult with patients and go over the photos and take detailed breast measurements during a physical exam. Next, we using a sizing algorithm to determine a range of implants that will work based on the exam and the measurements. Lastly, during the operation, we use silicone sizers in the operating room to see how the size actually looks in the breast. We sit the patient up in the operating room, while asleep of course, and compare the sizer result with their desired look photos. If its too small, we start the process over with a slightly larger implant. We don't stop until we get the perfect match. Of all of my breast augmentation patients, everyone of them have been happy with their size due to this detailed and meticulous process. You don't want to invest time and money into a result that is either too big or too small.

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Implant size

Dear wendythomson1233,

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. 

It is definitely worth spending more time (prior to the date of surgery) with your plastic surgeon to discuss further.  As you know, it will be important for many reasons, that you feel comfortable that you and your plastic surgeon are on the "same page" prior to proceeding.

Ultimately, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural look” or "full D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

How to pick breast implants

Cup sizes are not standard across bra makers, and implant sizing is NOT based on height, weight, BMI, or desired cup size.  This is something you will need to do IN PERSON with an experienced surgeon to determine what works well for you, and to get advice about if what you like is possible and what to expect with regards to results.  Be sure to discuss your goals and concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon and consider the pros and the cons. Be certain your surgeon is properly certified.  I've attached a link where you can start your search.  

How to pick breast implants

Size

Great image by the way (my patient!). The implant selection should be based on a combination of your desired size, soft tissue dynamics, breast base diameter and skin elasticity.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with.   Finally, make sure your surgeon is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
Dr. Desai
Beverly Hills Institute for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Size

Dr. Desai