My breasts were augmented 15 years ago. As of last week I've felt as if my left breast is bruised. What's going on?

My breasts were augmented 15 years ago. As of last week I've felt as if my left breast is bruised. Last night when laying down for bed I could feel a thin rill across the upper part of my breast at least 2 inches above the nipple closer to the center of my chest. What is going on? The pain is dull but sharp when I take a deep breath.

Breast pain

Thanks for your question. It's really not possible to give you a diagnosis without an in person examination. I would advise you to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area asap. You can find one by going to ASPS.org. Good luck. 

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

New Pain

Given the fact that this pain is new, I would advise you to schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss as well as your Ob/Gyn. Sorry that you are experiencing this. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Exam Required For 15 Year Old Implants

What you are experiencing can be caused by some changes in your implants or the tissues surrounding them.  Careful examination followed by diagnostic studies such as a sonogram, MRI or both will help clarify what is going on.  

FYI:  It is a TOTALLY INCORRECT NOTION that surgeons put forth that implants have to be replaced every ten years.  While it is true that the older silicone gel implants are not comparable with the implants available today, and the implant manufacturers insist that their products are NOT INTENDED FOR LIFE every situation should be handled individually.  If there is nothing wrong with implants after ten years and you like the way you look there is NO reason to replace them!

Eric Sadeh, MD

Surgery

Hello dear, thank you for your question and provided information. I suggest you to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get examinated well, maybe you're needing a change

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

You need to be examined by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have a mammogram/sonogram.t Breast implants should be changed after 10 years. You have had them for 15 years so it's highly recommended that you change them. You may very likely have leakage. 

George Lefkovits, MD

Problem with your 15 year old implants

It is impossible to know what is going on with your implants, but they are 15 years old and there may be a leak, rupture, or scar tissue (capsular contracture). You should make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon. You may benefit from exchange of those implants to a newer silicone gel. The implants that are available today are much better than the ones you have. 

Implant issue

I am not sure from your description what is going on. An in-office examination would be  appropriate to determine what it could be. Best of luck.

Breast augmentation

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended. 15 years is a long time to have implants, there may be some scar tissue or capsule.

I appreciate your question.

Please follow up with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Physical exam is needed to determine cause of your pain.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Pain after 15 years

Thank you for submitting your question. It is very difficult and not in your best interest to try and get diagnosed without being seen by a board certified plastic surgeon.
My advice is to either contact the plastic surgeon that did your surgery or contact a different board certified plastic surgeon to have a consultation. A physical examination is needed to help determine the cause of pain.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon