Had a breast lift and reduction. Wil the stitch inside harm me in any way?

I had a breast lift and reduction so the stitches on my nipple don't dissolve so I had them removed I had one stitch coming outward so it was cut at the base... Question is will the stitch inside harm me in anyway?

Breast reduction sutures

Thanks for your question.
The absorbable sutures used during breast lift and reduction procedures are absorbed at different rates in different patients.  Some people have a reaction to them and the body 'spits' them out through the incision.  The surgeon commonly cuts the knot which solves this situation.  Some breast cases involve the use of a NON-absorbable suture.  This suture may remain for life, unless it too gets spit in which case the knot or whole suture may be removed.  Leaving a portion of absorbable or NON-absorbable sutures inside cause no problems in the vast majority of cases.
Best of luck.
Dr. T

Breast lift and stitch

More than likely the internal stitch that you saw pop through the skin was absorbable.  Best to allow your surgeon to see this and treat it.

Breast lift and reduction - question about the sutures

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction and lift.
  • No, sutures willl not harm you if they stay in your body.
  • If it is an absorbing suture, it will slowly absorb where it is.
  • At times the body will reject a suture fragment - it rises to the surface and is easly plucked off but chances are it will absorb.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD