My breast implants are too big?

I just got my breast augmentation done a week ago. Yes i am still very swollen but i feel like it looks much more bigger than when i tried them on during my pre op. I am 5'3 148lbs. My size was 34b. I got 500cc silicone hp under the muscle. I was reading reviews and some people are saying that it looks bigger as it drops and some people are saying it looks smaller later on. I was going for a d or double d. Im wondering if i went too big. It looks so big from my side view.

Implants too big?

Thanks for your questions. 

Feeling too large right after augmentation surgery is a common concern. My personal thoughts are that this is due to swelling, the higher position of the implant, and the fact that mentally, the patient is not yet acclimated to a significant change in her breast size.

It is reassuring to note that after several months, very few patients feel that they are too large and some patients, who initial thought that they were too large, later think that they could have gone a little bit bigger.

This assumes that your surgeon used an appropriate implant based on your fitting. If you were happy with your shape at the fitting, then I would predict that you are going to be happy with your results in a few months. There will definitely be changes and final judgement should be reserved until these changes have occurred.

Good luck!

Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

My breast implants are too big?

I see this so often in my office. We spend the time with patients trying on the implants sizers to be sure this is the look they want to achieve from surgery and immediately after the surgery takes place, my patients have second thoughts, "did I make a mistake, did I go too big". Like mentioned below, the swelling that takes place and the elevation of you muscle does not allow the implant to settle into the pocket right away and also the implants just look like two stationary mounds this early on. Once the swelling settles down and the implants move more naturally and feel softer, my patients are ultimately very pleased and more commonly at this point say they wish they would have gone a little larger! Just be patient, I am sure you will be very pleased.

Postop Concerns

I appreciate your concerns but way too early to worry. Your body needs time to heal and adapt to the implants. The skin and muscle over the implants must stretch a bit to allow the implants to settle into their final position. While your appearance will improve fairly quickly, don't expect to see your final result for at least 6 months after surgery. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

My breast implants are too big?

As you already mentioned you are very early in the healing process. Please wait 6 weeks for swelling to subside and up to 3 months for implants to settle. 

regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

My breast implants are too big?

Based on your desire to be a D or even a DD, the size is probably good for you. But you have to be patient and allow for the selling to subside and for healing to take its course. You also need to follow-uo with your surgeon.

George Lefkovits, MD

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. TAlso, the implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Your recovery

My patients are fully prepared and understand that the final results can take weeks to months. They know the size will eventually be correct but it will take time. Don't judge too soon. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Allow time for implants to settle

You will experience changes in your breasts over the next several weeks and months as swelling decreases, muscles relax and your implants settle. It is impossible to determine what an appropriate size would have been for you without an in person consultation but 500 cc is leaning towards a larger implant for your frame. However, since you wanted a D or DD this may in fact be an ideal size for you, time will tell.

At this point, your implants will likely be high and appear to be very full on the upper pole. You can expect this to decrease in the coming days and weeks. Be patient and follow up with your surgeon as recommended.
Best of luck with your recovery.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Breasts will change with time

At only one month out, and with that large size implant in a medium framed woman, my guess is that this implant will settle downward and not look as full at the top over several months time. At that time you can reassess how it looks relative to your body. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Implants at a week

At this point, you have to give it time to settle and for the swelling to subside. Your opinion may change over the  next few months. Good luck.