Blepharoplasty surgery through an eyebrow incision?

I asked this before and didn't get any satisfactory answer, possibly because of my own lack to convey what is was I was asking for. Are there any plastic surgeons in the US that perform blepharoplasty through eyebrow incisions? I'm not speaking of a direct brow lift. This surgery is usually more popular in East Asian countries where they take care of extra skin and fat in the upper eyelid through an incision in the sub brow area. It's also referred to as a sub brow eyelid lift.

Sub brow eyelid lift

This is a very particular question and my guess is that not many plastic surgeons are familiarized with the technique. What I will suggest is that you look for an oculoplastic surgeon in your area that specializes in asian eyelid surgery as this is a technique almost exclusively performed in this population of patients. Do your research and ask for before and after photos. Hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Sub brow eyelid lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes - can be done.

Hello C. Jonson,

Yes - we can do a blepharoplasty with a brow incision. I've also lectured about an innovative technique I have where we do the blepharoplasty through an incision all the way on top of the head.

Yes - can be done.

Hello C. Jonson,

Blepharoplasty through a sub brow incision?

Thanks for your question.  I perform blepharoplasty through an eyelid crease incision.  See an oculoplastic specialist and one experienced in asian eyelids for a consultation to address your concerns.  Good luck. 

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty through Brow lift incision

Not a good idea.  This is an explained procedure in Asian countries because typically only fat is being removed without skin.  While this is not a typical manner to address the eyelids, this can be done.  Asian blepharoplasty is an art within itself and I would strongly recommend seeing an Oculoplastic surgeon whom specializes in Asian Eyelid surgery.

Best of luck to you.

Best of luck to you.

Blepharoplasty through eyebrow incision?

Thank you for your question. This is a very specific question which I believe you must contact a board certified oculoplastic surgeon that specializes in Asian eyelid lifts. Wish you the best of luck. Best, Dr. Heffernan

Thank you for your question.  I am unaware of any technique to do an upper blepharoplasty through an eyebrow incision.  Dissection through the brow to the proper location would be difficult.  More important we typically make an incision in the supratarsal fold, the fold above the eyelashes.  Using this scar placement the eyelid incision is very well-healed and  the fold above the lashes more well defined after surgery.

Blepharoplasty - Incisions

A upper eyelid blepharoplasty is generally performed using an incision that rests in the crease of the upper lids.  In my practice, I routinely perform these procedures utilizing this 'crease' incision to remove some of the excess skin and resect some of the excess fat that contributes to the hooding or heavy appearance of the upper lids.  This incision typically heals quite nicely and hides itself well in the natural crease of the upper lid.  

If you are interested in an upper lid blepharoplasty and wish to discuss your candidacy and surgical approaches available, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is well-experienced in these procedures.  An incision in the sub brow area will often be more visible and for patients with hooding of the upper lids they will often also require an eyelid procedure.  I hope that you find this helpful and I wish you all of the best!

Blepharoplasty - Incisions

Eyelid incision

A blepharoplasty is performed through an incision often placed just above the tarsal plate or in the "crease" of the upper eyelid.  Placing it in a sub brow position may lead to a poor scar.

Eyelid incision

Bleph through the brow

The reason you didn't receive a satisfactory answer is that in general this is not a satisfactory operation, for the surgeon or the patient.  For that reason, this is not an operation that is done commonly in the US, where patients are very concerned about the appearance of incision in visible areas like the sub brow.

Bleph through the brow