Approximately 3 months post mastopexy; is this normal? (Photos)

My left breast looks like this still. Is this normal? The Dr is in Florida. I flew there twice since making these post and all he says is that an healing well and surgery was a success. Yet this is what I looklike. His nurse doesn't even show him the photos I send.

Bad scarring after breastblift

Thanks for reaching out.  It appears that your scars are hypertrophic.  Have you tried any scar cream yet? You may also benefit fro. A steroid injection.  Also it appears as if your internal sutures are beginning to erode through your skin. That may eventually cause a stitch abscess.  It is best if you are followed closely by a board certified plastic surgeon.
I hope this helps :)

Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Keloid/hypertrophic scarring

Thank you for your question and photographs.  From the look of your photo’s you may have keloid or hypertrophic scarring. At 3 months post op, your body is still healing and your scars will continue to change over the course of a year. I would recommend either consulting with your original plastic surgeon who performed your surgery or scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area if you are still unhappy with your scars at a years time, they may be able to give you kenalog injections to induce flattening and fading of the scars or perform a scar revision. I hope this helps!
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thick scars

You have thick widened scars that may represent keloid or hypertrophy.  Sometimes injections with steroids can help. Best to review with your doctor.

Hypertrophic Scars

It appears from the photos that you have hypertrophic scarring. If your incisions are raised, reddened, sore and thickening then you may need treatment with steroid injections. I recommend that you be seen in person either by your Plastic Surgeon or another board certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.
All the best

Scar may be a bit thick and widened

• Your scar may be thick and widened.  It might just be that you are really zoomed in, I can't tell.
  • I would say this, it is too soon to do a scar revision and it may settle out with time. I would wait up to a year.
  • I suggest you do all the scar management your surgeon described.  In my practise I have patients use silicone and a topical that they massage in.
  • Hopefully, your surgeon is being truthful when telling you that it is healing well.  If not, then I would likely advise seeing another surgeon for an opinion in person, close to home.  If your surgeon is supportive then that is all you can ask for.  If they are brushing you off (or you feel like that is happening) and you really do have a problem then it highlights the importance of finding a surgeon that not only can provide good results, but will be supportive after the fact if the result does not turn out just right.  This is surgery.  There are many things that can occur, but a surgeon that backs up their work and provides support is crucial.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He is the Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Training Program and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.  He strives to provide the best possible plastic surgery results and excellent care to patients from the GTA including Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC