Approximately 3 months post mastopexy; is this normal? (Photos)

My left breast looks like this still. Is this normal? The Dr is in Florida. I flew there twice since making these post and all he says is that an healing well and surgery was a success. Yet this is what I looklike. His nurse doesn't even show him the photos I send.

Doctor Answers 4

Bad scarring after breastblift

Thanks for reaching out.  It appears that your scars are hypertrophic.  Have you tried any scar cream yet? You may also benefit fro. A steroid injection.  Also it appears as if your internal sutures are beginning to erode through your skin. That may eventually cause a stitch abscess.  It is best if you are followed closely by a board certified plastic surgeon.
I hope this helps :)

Livingston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Keloid/hypertrophic scarring

Thank you for your question and photographs.  From the look of your photo’s you may have keloid or hypertrophic scarring. At 3 months post op, your body is still healing and your scars will continue to change over the course of a year. I would recommend either consulting with your original plastic surgeon who performed your surgery or scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area if you are still unhappy with your scars at a years time, they may be able to give you kenalog injections to induce flattening and fading of the scars or perform a scar revision. I hope this helps!
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Thick scars

You have thick widened scars that may represent keloid or hypertrophy.  Sometimes injections with steroids can help. Best to review with your doctor.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Hypertrophic Scars

It appears from the photos that you have hypertrophic scarring. If your incisions are raised, reddened, sore and thickening then you may need treatment with steroid injections. I recommend that you be seen in person either by your Plastic Surgeon or another board certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.
All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 179 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.