Should I Go to an Expert in Crooked Nose Rhinoplasty?

I broke my nose and fractured my orbital wall about 10 yrs ago (I was 15). I am unhappy with the crooked appearance of my nose. I also have asymmetrical eyes and breathing problems (constant runny nose), and I'm wondering if they're related to the broken nose.

I want to have my nose fixed, but I wonder, should I see someone who specializes in correcting the appearance of a crooked nose? I understand that achieving a straight nose, especially so long after breaking it, can be difficult.

Doctor Answers 11

Correction of a crooked nose requires an expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Correction of a crooked nose is a complex plastic surgery procedure. There are many variables to be considered including deviation of the nasal septum, displaced nasal bones, as well as curvature or twist of the nasal tip caused by many years of displacement by the fractured bones.

The orbital fracture also adds a possible complicating factor.

I would look specifically for an experienced senior plastic surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty surgery.

In view of your history of trauma I would also consult a Craniofacial Surgeon who also does cosmetic surgery. Consult 2 or 3 doctors and ask specific questions. Trust your gut feelings about the doctor after your consult.

Crooked Nose and Facial Fracture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are right! Fixing a crooked nose can be a complex challenge and requires the expertise of an experienced surgeon.

Your facial fracture is an important element to be considered in your surgical planning. Radiography of the face and nose should be done.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Facial plastic surgeon with otolaryngology background

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The crooked nose is a very difficult procedure. The procedure needs to be done properly so that the nose can be straightened and the patient needs to see someone who has extensive experience in this type of rhinoplasty surgery. A facial plastic surgeon with experience in otolaryngology can address the crooked nose breathing problems. This can be covered under medical insurance if it is causing a breathing problem, as long as there are no preexisting conditions. With respect to the asymmetrical eyes or orbital fracture, it is very difficult to fix but sometimes can be addressed.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Rhinoplasty and Crooked Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult plastic surgery procedure to perform.  Correcting a crooked nose is one of the most difficult procedures in rhinoplasty to perform.  Seek a surgeon with experience with correcting the crooked nose, a wide breadth of rhinoplasty techniques, and can show before and afters of patients with similar issues.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 181 reviews

Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Because rhinoplasty is considered the most difficult procedure in cosmetic surgery, any patient - regardless of their nasal problem or nasal characteristics - should seek the advice of a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty. Most people are suprised to learn that most plastic surgeon and most ENT / facial plastic surgeons do not routinely perform rhinoplasty in their practice. It is important to find one that does to help ensure that you attain the best possible result.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 149 reviews

Rhinoplasty expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should definitely see a rhinoplasty surgeon. This is usually a plastic surgeon or ear, nose and throat doctor.  Most likely you will need a CT to evaluate your orbits as well as your nasal cavity.  Good luck. 

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Who Should Fix a Crooked Nose?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Only if you want a straight nose that you can breathe well through. Yes, you should see a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon (facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon). Most likely your nasal bones will need to be precisely incised (re-fractured), and in rare cases a graft may be used to augment an area to insure symmetry.

Do choose your surgeon most carefully. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Yes, you should see a Rhinoplasty specialist.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Deviated noses can be some of the most difficult noses to repair. Doctors who have a great deal of experience in rhinoplasty will give you the best result. How you find these surgeons can be difficult with all of the current day marketing. Make sure the doctor shows you good examples of your problem and how he repaired them.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Rhinoplasty specialists are your best bet

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty who have a significant amount of training in facial trauma are probably your best bet for reconstructing your nose.

Getting preoperative information by CT scan of your face and sinuses would be helpful in identifying anatomic reasons for your asymmetry and symptoms, and how to best correct them.

Post-traumatic reconstructions can be very difficult because of the enhanced amount of scar in the area. Also if bone is missing or structures adjacent to the nose are involved the problem becomes significantly more complicated.

A rhinoplasty specialist is your best bet.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

Yes, you should go to an expert, but consider what kind

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The expert you are looking for is a Plastic Surgeon who has extra training in Maxillofacial surgery. This would give you a surgeon with a good aesthetic sense combined with the skills necessary to analyze and correct the facial skeleton. Some of your concerns are with the nose directly but others can be related your old orbital fracture. Not all Plastic Surgeons have these skills.

Maxilofacial surgery has their own society and can be easily searched on the web.

Good luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.